The Official Vortec 454 Info thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kchevys

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Finally getting around to this, got it off the trailer and on the engine stand so I could wash it ahead of putting it in the building.
This thing was NASTY, so nasty; and the fact it's a milkshake maker didn't help it at all. A few rounds of Gunk to start with broke up a lot, but not as much as I expected. Went and got some Purple Power and LAs Totally Awesome degreaser and hosed it down and hit it with the pressure washer, both of those did a fantastic job! Hit one side with Purple Power and the other with LAs. Started removing some small brackets like the coil and ICM, pulled plug wires and the broken rotor off and yeeted that in the trash and tucked the brackets in the box for parts.
I'll grab some pictures of the engine all cleaned up here shortly, but it's off to a great start.
I LMAO when I saw this picture. Engine on a stand with a brand new fence behind it..... How do your neighbors feel about your build?!?

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I LMAO when I saw this picture. Engine on a stand with a brand new fence behind it..... How do your neighbors feel about your build?!?
My neighbor to the right of the building came over with a couple beers and bs'd with me and my buddy while we were fighting with it, he's cool as f-ck; although he gave me crap since he's a Ford guy.
My neighbors across the street couldn't see the goings-on over the fence, but once they drove by the seemed intrigued and mildly horrified since they seem to be urbanites and not accustomed to the motions of a country bumpkin such as myself.

Luckily I don't live in a place with an HOA!

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used the comp XR270HR. idles great with tune, in my truck it starts ramping up at 2000 rpm, real strong between 3000-4500, I don't get over 4000 often
I was talking to my friend about how I've got my build idea roughed out; I'm planning on the XR270HR and my ultimate goal for this engine build is to be able to pull 10K+ at 65-70 with the AC on kill.
I'm going to have a mildly built 4L80E and I'm definitely regearing to 4.10s, other than that does the motor do everything you throw at it?

Piratehunter

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@BNielsen I'm happy with it. I've got 5.13's which puts me at 3000 rpm at 70 in 5th gear with 32" tires on the open highway. I don't drive in the left lane that much, too much rage in that lane, but when I need to, since I'm in the middle of the power band it will pull away fast. pulls my 6k trailer through the mountains in 4th with ease.

BNielsen

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@BNielsen I'm happy with it. I've got 5.13's which puts me at 3000 rpm at 70 in 5th gear with 32" tires on the open highway. I don't drive in the left lane that much, too much rage in that lane, but when I need to, since I'm in the middle of the power band it will pull away fast. pulls my 6k trailer through the mountains in 4th with ease.
That's what I was hoping for; he's got a tuned LML Duramax so he underestimates what a cam and tuning can do for a 454, I was hoping with this cam I'd have pulling power all around and passing power when I need it.

yevgenievich

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Last time i had 6k lb trailer was able to keep it in od. 3.73 gears and 33" tire. A bit border line running 2k rpm but for Texas roads works well.

weaponoffreedom

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow 513 is low.

I aint afraid to spin the either. good on you 3000-3500 is where the are most efficient.

I have thought about going to 456 in my burb from 373

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow 513 is low.

I aint afraid to spin the either. good on you 3000-3500 is where the are most efficient.

I have thought about going to 456 in my burb from 373
I was wondering about the most efficient rpm range for towing with the 454 Vortec. I’ve been keeping mine at ~2500 in third gear. Maybe that’s too low.

ralmo94

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
was wondering about the most efficient rpm range for towing with the 454 Vortec
Depends on the cam and cam timing. Stock I believe torque peak is around 3k or 3500? I think it's supposed to be 3k but the retard on stock timing gear puts it at 35? That doesn't mean it's the most fuel efficient. If you want to try lower gears, try some used smaller tires first.

Comparing 265/70-16 to 225/70-16 is exactly the same as going from 3.73 to 4.10. Thats what I have been running, she seems a little high strung over 85, but has a lot better towing ability in 4th.

Aftermarket truck cams can peak a lot lower even to just off idle, and that changes everything

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Depends on the cam and cam timing. Stock I believe torque peak is around 3k or 3500? I think it's supposed to be 3k but the retard on stock timing gear puts it at 35? That doesn't mean it's the most fuel efficient. If you want to try lower gears, try some used smaller tires first.

Comparing 265/70-16 to 225/70-16 is exactly the same as going from 3.73 to 4.10. Thats what I have been running, she seems a little high strung over 85, but has a lot better towing ability in 4th.

Aftermarket truck cams can peak a lot lower even to just off idle, and that changes everything
Thanks. It’s a bone stock ’96 with 4.10 gearing and a 4L80e. I tow my 5500 - 6000 lb camping trailer with it in 3rd gear, on the advice of the transmission guy that recently rebuilt it.

I’m resisting the urge to mod the engine, though. The plan is to keep it stock.