temp gauge issue?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
the truck runs hot for about 5 minutes going down the road then cools back down to where its suppose to be. its not showing any signs of actually running hot. any help?

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
Check for an air pocket in the system. It could be low on coolant and causing the gauge sensor to read steam temp rather than coolant temp.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
Posting your actual temps will help.

Do the simple stuff first.
Check the coolant level. If the coolant reservoir is empty and the radiator is low, fill the radiator and pressure test the system. You probably have a leak and the coolant level became low enough to introduce air in the system.
If this is the case, fix the leak, fill the radiator, let the truck idle until the thermostat opens to purge the air out of the system (level ground, don't let it overheat), top of the coolant, and test drive.

If the radiator and coolant reservoir are at the proper levels, then check for proper thermostat operation. It could be sticking closed and finally opening at higher temps.

Is it a repeating cycle as you drive the truck?
For example: runs cool, then hot, cools down, then runs hot again, etc. Does it keep doing that until you shut it down?
If this is the pattern, then you probably have a blown head gasket.
It would be good to have a pro confirm that it is a blown head gasket.

Does it run hot once after starting it cold?
For example: You start the truck in the morning to drive to work, it warms up to a hotter than normal temp, then it drops to it's normal temp, and it stays at normal temp until you shut it down.
If this is the case, then it's pretty much normal for these trucks.
With a 195 degree thermostat, my truck temp will rise to the 210 degree area, then drop to normal temp and stay there. I've tried two different thermostats and they all eventually settled into that same pattern.
In the summer months, I run a hypertech 180 degree thermostat. It will raise the temp to 190ish, then cool down.

Electrical problems with the sender, gauge, or wiring will usually send the gauge to one extreme or the other (extreme hot or cold). It can do this intermittently.
You'll have to inspect the wiring, possibly change the sender or the gauge. You can also run a separate temp gauge to see if it is electrical or if the engine is actually the problem.

Hope this helps.
Any other opinions are welcome.

Last edited:

kkirwan71

women problems
Reaction score
Posting your actual temps will help.

Do the simple stuff first.
Check the coolant level. If the coolant reservoir is empty and the radiator is low, fill the radiator and pressure test the system. You probably have a leak and the coolant level became low enough to introduce air in the system.
If this is the case, fix the leak, fill the radiator, let the truck idle until the thermostat opens to purge the air out of the system (level ground, don't let it overheat), top of the coolant, and test drive.

If the radiator and coolant reservoir are at the proper levels, then check for proper thermostat operation. It could be sticking closed and finally opening at higher temps.

well it gets up to about 250 or so then goes back down for the rest of the ride. I just had the intake gaskets done and got all the air out of the system

Is it a repeating cycle as you drive the truck?
For example: runs cool, then hot, cools down, then runs hot again, etc. Does it keep doing that until you shut it down?
If this is the pattern, then you probably have a blown head gasket.
It would be good to have a pro confirm that it is a blown head gasket.

Does it run hot once after starting it cold?
For example: You start the truck in the morning to drive to work, it warms up to a hotter than normal temp, then it drops to it's normal temp, and it stays at normal temp until you shut it down.
If this is the case, then it's pretty much normal for these trucks.
With a 195 degree thermostat, my truck temp will rise to the 210 degree area, then drop to normal temp and stay there. I've tried two different thermostats and they all eventually settled into that same pattern.
In the summer months, I run a hypertech 180 degree thermostat. It will raise the temp to 190ish, then cool down.

Electrical problems with the sender, gauge, or wiring will usually send the gauge to one extreme or the other (extreme hot or cold). It can do this intermittently.
You'll have to inspect the wiring, possibly change the sender or the gauge. You can also run a separate temp gauge to see if it is electrical or if the engine is actually the problem.

Hope this helps.
Any other opinions are welcome.

no not repeating it as I drive but mine stays at 210 with a 195 thermostat. yes it does do it when I start it cold. I've recently had the intake gaskets replaced and radiator replaced.

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
If the temp stays at 210, then I would do what slippy3002 suggests. Change the temp sensor.
Your truck should spike to 210ish after a cold start (first opening of thermostat), then drop to 190ish, then slowly rise to just below 200 degrees, and stay there. This is also dependent on the outside temp. The hotter it is outside, the more you will see it hover between 200 and 210. I didn't like that temp in my truck so I started using a 180 degree thermostat in the summer.
The gauges in these trucks were noted for not being accurate, so temporarily running an aftermarket temp gauge, might be a good idea. It will give you a true representation of the engines actual temps.
Try changing the sensor first, then go from there.

Good luck!

Big D

Atoadaso I f*kn Atoadaso
Reaction score
I had A similar issue with it running hot, my truck would warm up to 230-240 and then drop all the way back to 190ish temps

I changed the thermostat and it went away, it was opening alot warmer than it was suppose to.