Tbi/vortec engine...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took the heads and intake off a 96 5.7 and put them on a 90 5.7 block I believe

Not really I just took the top ends right off the old engine and slapped it on the new one and then timing covers and that was it
The TBI short-block, and the Vortec short-block are functionally interchangeable. There are differences--piston-top shape, crank sensor/reluctor (and therefore the damper and timing cover), camshaft profile (roller cam vs. flat tappet, pushrods, etc)--but the block castings can be identical.

No reason your swap shouldn't work. Apparently the gaskets you chose, and workmanship, are the reasons you had fluid leakage.

GavinJansma

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The TBI short-block, and the Vortec short-block are functionally interchangeable. There are differences--piston-top shape, crank sensor/reluctor (and therefore the damper and timing cover), camshaft profile (roller cam vs. flat tappet, pushrods, etc)--but the block castings can be identical.

No reason your swap shouldn't work. Apparently the gaskets you chose, and workmanship, are the reasons you had fluid leakage.
Alright thank you it was a very rushed project I'll take it apart and try it again.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the water pump port in the TBI block.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Don't forget the water pump port in the TBI block.
Its covered by the passenger Vortec head. I did have to tap mine on my 383 to an 1/8" NPT and plug it with my aftermarket aluminum heads. The aftermarket aluminum heads on my 383 are drilled to match the coolant bypass port.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
but the block castings can be identical
The block castings are different. The Vortecs are missing two bolt holes for the timing cover and don't even have the bosses for the holes. The water pump bypass is missing, and the boss for it is missing as well. I think the bolt spacing for the cam retainer may also be different, but I don't know if the bosses for the bolts are different.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The block castings are different. The Vortecs are missing two bolt holes for the timing cover and don't even have the bosses for the holes. The water pump bypass is missing, and the boss for it is missing as well. I think the bolt spacing for the cam retainer may also be different, but I don't know if the bosses for the bolts are different.

Not true at all. I have had my eyes on no less than 20 different OE Vortec blocks. Almost all had the timing cover bolts, the water pump bypass and more than 1/2 were drilled and tapped for a mechanical fuel pump and even had the pushrod hole but were covered with an OEM block off plate although the cam does not have a lobe.

One of the many OEM vortec blocks I have had my hands on. Bypass was drilled, all the timing cover bolt holes were drilled and tapped and it had a drilled fuel pump boss complete with factory block off plate. This engine was out of a 99 1500 Van.

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The blocks "can" be different. Often, they are not, or the differences are a matter of machining, not casting.

The Vortec short-block in my K1500 now, has no fuel pump pushrod or oil-drainback machining, and I had to drill the final two holes for the timing cover. I had to drill a hole for the coolant bypass. All bosses for those holes were included on the casting, though.