Tbi to efi swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

92rcsb

Reaction score
Ok, I've looked all over and can't find any information on this so here we go. I have a 1992 chevy rcsb 350 with the outdated tbi on it. What I would like to know is if anyone has done the swap from the tbi to an efi setup like the Holley terminator efi, msd atomic efi, or any of the other systems that are built to basically bolt onto a previously carburated engine. My truck is essentially stock, with the 700r4, it looks like it should be pretty straightforward. Just a carb swap with some extra wiring and a new fuel pump. I plan on building a new engine over the winter and the tbi will not stand a chance of providing enough fuel for it but I dont want to go carb. So long story short, I was hoping someone on here might have given this a shot already and any insight would be great before I dive in head first and waste alot of money and time.

Reaction score
Everyone seams to forget that even if you are emissions exempt due to age and they don't sniff check you, it is still illegal to remove any emissions equipment that was originally installed by the OEM. i.e. EGR, PCV, catalysts, etc. and they can fail an inspection even if it is a safety only inspection. But if that doesn't deter you, for me the short and curly of it was swap heads, intake, and distributor, installed new injection wiring, then bundled up the old harness in the corner of the engine bay.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, I've looked all over and can't find any information on this so here we go. I have a 1992 chevy rcsb 350 with the outdated tbi on it. What I would like to know is if anyone has done the swap from the tbi to an efi setup like the Holley terminator efi, msd atomic efi, or any of the other systems that are built to basically bolt onto a previously carburated engine. My truck is essentially stock, with the 700r4, it looks like it should be pretty straightforward. Just a carb swap with some extra wiring and a new fuel pump. I plan on building a new engine over the winter and the tbi will not stand a chance of providing enough fuel for it but I dont want to go carb. So long story short, I was hoping someone on here might have given this a shot already and any insight would be great before I dive in head first and waste alot of money and time.

Are you bulding a stroked big block? If not a single TBI can provide plenty of fuel for it. However I would actually pickup a 2nd OEM throttle body for a 350 and the Dynamic EFI setup with injector driver mod for 2 TBIs. Pickup a dual 4bbl intake and TBI to 4bbl adapters. You will have something like 900 cfm of airflow and fuel for over 400 HP at stock 12 psi fuel pressure. I did a dual TBI system on a tunnel ram intake on a very hot solid lifter cammed 406 in a 1939 Chevy years ago. I also helped tune the TBI ECM for an Offenhauser crossram with dual TBI's on a 70.5 Camaro.

Last edited:

92rcsb

Reaction score
Everyone seams to forget that even if you are emissions exempt due to age and they don't sniff check you, it is still illegal to remove any emissions equipment that was originally installed by the OEM. i.e. EGR, PCV, catalysts, etc. and they can fail an inspection even if it is a safety only inspection. But if that doesn't deter you, for me the short and curly of it was swap heads, intake, and distributor, installed new injection wiring, then bundled up the old harness in the corner of the engine bay.

Emissions aren't an issue in my area, so it does seem to be about what I was thinking. What system did you go with? I've been contemplating going with the msd unit, everything I've read on it seems to be nothing but good.

92rcsb

Reaction score
Are you bulding a stroked big block? If not a single TBI can provide plenty of fuel for it. However I would actually pickup a 2nd OEM throttle body for a 350 and the Dynamic EFI setup with injector driver mod for 2 TBIs. Pickup a dual 4bbl intake and TBI to 4bbl adapters. You will have something like 900 cfm of airflow and fuel for over 400 HP at stock 12 psi fuel pressure. I did a dual TBI system on a tunnel ram intake on a very hot solid lifter cammed 406 in a 1939 Chevy years ago. I also helped tune the TBI ECM for an Offenhauser crossram with dual TBI's on a 70.5 Camaro.

That's actually pretty cool, I honestly didnt even know something like that could even be done. But I personally just dont have an interest in going that route. It will be a stroked block, somewhere in the 500 neighborhood. Nothing crazy, but leaps and bounds above the old tbi 350

Reaction score
How on earth do you imagine getting 900cfm from a rochester 220? I would love to see you flow 900 cfm through a big block tbi let alone the 350 version.

Reaction score
Emissions aren't an issue in my area, so it does seem to be about what I was thinking. What system did you go with? I've been contemplating going with the msd unit, everything I've read on it seems to be nothing but good.
I'm using the edelbrock tbi setup. But i'm pretty sure it's discontinued. I run a dual sync distributor and control timing with the edelbrock ECU as well. For fuel i run an in tank pump from a vortec truck and AN lines from where the old rubber lines start. The swap is pretty straightforward. Oh and you will need some way of controlling the torque converter lockup on your 700r4. I run a toggle switch under the radio using to engage it and the stock brake switch circuit interrupter to kick it out when i come to a stop. Essentially you just run a switch in the old TCC engage wire coming from the ECU.

92rcsb

Reaction score
I'm using the edelbrock tbi setup. But i'm pretty sure it's discontinued. I run a dual sync distributor and control timing with the edelbrock ECU as well. For fuel i run an in tank pump from a vortec truck and AN lines from where the old rubber lines start. The swap is pretty straightforward. Oh and you will need some way of controlling the torque converter lockup on your 700r4. I run a toggle switch under the radio using to engage it and the stock brake switch circuit interrupter to kick it out when i come to a stop. Essentially you just run a switch in the old TCC engage wire coming from the ECU.

The lockup is definitely something I would have overlooked! Thanks alot, I've got a pretty good idea of what I'm getting into now.

ccreddell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I second the Dynamic EBL Flash. But you dont need dual TBIs-its cool, and it works, but you dont need it. Im running a cammed 383 with a 454 TBI and spacer setup on a Edelbrock 2116. I run a divorced, vacuum referenced, adjustable fuel pressure regulator, and its good for over 400hp. Im still tuning, but with the previous 5.7 I was able to tune it to get ~25mpg on the highway. Love the EBL.