Tbi rockers and push rod questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bburban94

Reaction score
I bought some used heads but they didn't come with rocker arms or push rods i was wondering if I could swap my rockers and rods off my old tbi heads to my bare head what would be the process

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Normally yes, but the style of rockers you have must match the heads.

Chevy heads and rockers mostly came in two styles - self-aligning and non-self-aligning. To identify the heads, look at the size of the hole that the pushrod travels through. You MUST use the correct rocker arm style with the head style.

If it’s a large, open hole that the pushrod has plenty of room to move around, you need SELF-ALIGNING rocker arms. These rocker arms will have a stamped indent at the tip of the rocker arm that will “cradle” the tip of the valve stem, keeping it aligned on the valve.

If the hole is barely wide enough to fit the pushrod through (slightly slotted for up and down movement), you need NON SELF-ALIGNING rocker arms. The slot in the head keeps the pushrod guided, eliminating the need for the rocker to do the work. These rocker arms will have a large, smooth, polished surface with no stamping.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The heads I bought are cast 193 tbi heads
And the old heads are 193 too? As long as you kept the lifters in the same holes they were in, install the push rods, rockers, and set lifter preload. You can find a procedure online. Everyone has their own way to do it.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The complicating factor here, is that "used" rocker arms are usually junk.

They're often worn-out at the valve tip. Sometimes worn out at the pivot, or at the pushrod tip.

When I tried to "get by" with re-using Oldsmobile rocker arms and pivot stands, I needed three sets of rockers to make one "adequate" set.

Bburban94

Reaction score
These are my old heads that I pulled off my old motor they are clearly stamped 193
You must be registered for see images attach

Bburban94

Reaction score

These are the heads I bought are these the non self aligning heads if so can I still use them they are also stamped 193

Nick_R_23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, the heads you bought require the non self-aligning rockers. You can use them with no issues as long as you use the proper rocker style with them.

tayto

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
All the TBI heads came like that, I have seen both self-aligning and non-self aligning FWIW.