TBI question.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a variable-assist PS solenoid. Not the "oil pressure" switch/sending unit.

Keep looking at the back of the engine.

On a '93? Is the switch/sending unit/sensor the same as the one you're referring to because it's the same one that I bought to replace? At least it looks the same. From what I found on the interwebs there are 3 possible locations for big blocks. Back top of the block, by the oil filter and front left of the block where mine is. I think???

EDIT: I just went and looked closer. It's screwed into the block. Operator's side, front. So you're saying there should be another one on the top back of the block? Is it quite a bit smaller, because this is what I was looking for before?

Last edited:

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are 3 possible locations for big blocks. Back top of the block, by the oil filter and front left of the block where mine is. I think???

EDIT: I just went and looked closer. It's screwed into the block. Operator's side, front. So you're saying there should be another one on the top back of the block? Is it quite a bit smaller, because this is what I was looking for before?
If it's screwed into the block, it'll be an oil pressure sensor, and I was wrong.

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's coming out of the two weep holes at the bottom of the aluminum bellhousing cover. After I start it it takes 10 seconds or so to start leaking. I let it run for 2-3 minutes and it would fill up a beercan or so. Then when I shut it off it drains out even faster for 5 seconds or so. That tells me it's getting flung around by the flex plate when it's running. Something is leaking inside. Fawwwwwwwwwwwwwkkkkk....

Last edited:

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK boys, an update! I took off with the truck a while back to drive 20+ miles to the shop I was going to have look at it. I grabbed a bunch of oil and took it with me figuring I would have to put 5-6 quarts in just to get there. I pulled over 3-4 miles from home and shut the truck off to add oil. It was leaking and smoking so bad I thought the damn thing was going to start on fire. Added a couple of quarts and took off again. The next time I pulled over it didn't seem to be leaking nearly as bad. By the time I got to the shop it didn't seem to be leaking and I didn't have to add any oil? Didn't smell any burnt oil underneath either. The wife was in a hurry to get going and it was dark so I didn't spend much time looking at it. I just left it and waited to hear from him. So long story short, this guy bought out a guy I have used for a mechanic ever since I've been driving so I figured I'd just take it to him. This was the last time I will be doing that. I'll spare you the details of what he was trying to pull on me but it was a dandy. So, I took the truck home after checking the oil level which was almost a quart too full just where I left it when I dropped it off. At this point there is hardly any leaking going on and it didn't take any oil on the way home! On the way home, I stopped at another shop that has been around for a long time and has always had a good reputation. The guy there told me that he has seen the lip of rear mains blow out from a crankcase backfire before and then when you get the motor good and warm it will become pliable again and the crank rolls the lip back in eventually. I'll be damned! That has to be what happened here. Through all of this I never did get the motor good and warm until I finally took off to go to the shop because it was leaking so much oil at home. I had just been starting it for a few minutes at a time over a few days and trying to figure out what the hell was going on. I've talked to a lot of people about this and nobody had any good ideas until I talked to this guy. I've never heard of this happening before. So now it runs fine, doesn't seem to be leaking any oil and isn't making any noises. I'm just going to stay close to home with it for the next few days and then eventually install the distributor I bought and haven't put in yet. I'm still crossing my fingers but as far as I can tell right now all is well!

All this started over a $5 rotor!!! :banghead:

Crookedaxle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
At least the seal went back in place - saved you a bunch of $$$, LOL.

Ya, it sealed up for a couple of hundred miles until I was coming home from work one night and noticed a blue haze behind me and no tailgaters. I had to make a few pit stops to pour oil in. LOTS of oil! You can buy a lot of oil for the price of a tow truck ride home. The whole seal was now completely blown out. It was parked all summer and now I finally got it fixed and back on the road about a month ago.