Tapping on cold start?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If so it's unlikely that they are gummed up. With stock valve springs it seems unlikely that you'd bend a pushrod, but I've had rocker nuts back off before. Strange though that it only does it cold.

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's the interesting part. I'm pretty sure the springs and everything is stock, the cam in it is only a little bit bigger than stock

Sent from my LG-H820PR using Tapatalk

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Easiest way to narrow it down is pull the valve covers and wiggle the rockers with 1 and then 6 at TDC.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Fully agreed with Suoercharged111. I don't know if you have a Vortec or a TBI, but I know the vortec valves are easy to adjust. You only have two motor settings, TDC for cylinder 1, and TDC for cylinder 6.

A quick Google search will tell you which valves to adjust at TDC 1, which for TDC 6. Basically you tighten the nut just enough to remove the wiggle on the push rod, and then tighten the nut one full 360-degree turn beyond that.

After listening to your video, it almost sounds like exhaust leakage to me. Make sure your exhaust bolts are tightened to spec and the gaskets aren't leaking

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Fully agreed with Suoercharged111. I don't know if you have a Vortec or a TBI, but I know the vortec valves are easy to adjust. You only have two motor settings, TDC for cylinder 1, and TDC for cylinder 6.

A quick Google search will tell you which valves to adjust at TDC 1, which for TDC 6. Basically you tighten the nut just enough to remove the wiggle on the push rod, and then tighten the nut one full 360-degree turn beyond that.

After listening to your video, it almost sounds like exhaust leakage to me. Make sure your exhaust bolts are tightened to spec and the gaskets aren't leaking
Whatś kinda funny, is that the y-pipe on the truck was newer at some point, and i noticed one of the exhaust studs looked kinda wonky. I wonder how that would cause an issue only when cold though.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Whatś kinda funny, is that the y-pipe on the truck was newer at some point, and i noticed one of the exhaust studs looked kinda wonky. I wonder how that would cause an issue only when cold though.

Expansion. When everything gets a little heat in it the leak seals up more. Very possible.

El Tigre

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine taps when cold also. Likely piston slap. Mine has always done this,and noise goes away within 1/2 mile...

dhumboldt12

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another thing I noticed, is when warm at idle, it has a deeper slow knock. Goes away right as soon as you rev up.

Sent from my LG-H820PR using Tapatalk