Switching to electric fan

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NathanY

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
My truck has a 4.3 in it. I have been told that I will gain power if I take the clutch fan off and install an electric fan. Is that true and will the gain be noticeable?

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
IMO its not that noticable. I put one on my S10 and didnt notice a big seat of the pants difference. The biggest difference I saw was in my MPG. I have a jeep grand cherokee fan that will be going on my Z71 to see if it helps it pick up a MPG or two. I need a controller before I can install it though.

Chris

OBS Fallen One
Reaction score
10-15hp? :rofljest:

Maybe 5hp, and that's with the clutch engaged and fan roaring. Like any thermostatic clutch it disengages at a certain speed/temperature and has no effect on the engine. IE - cruising speed.

"STROKER ACE"

Reaction score
Hey your going to want to keep your clutch fan. theres no benefit to an electric fan (for your app) unless your having cooling issues. an electric fan comes on and shuts off, the clutch fan will still allow air to pass thru for trans and oil cooler. just a thought.

GMCTRUCKS

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In this Texas heat you might just want to keep your heavy duty fan clutch or go with a flex fan. I would be afraid if the electric fan would fail and it would mess up my engine yes it has 179K but she still uses no oil. Might consider replacing all your hoses and the stat also look into this web site. GenesisAutoParts.com the shipping is real cheap. Im getting this one below look at the awesome price.
art Number: ALL25772X2379AA

1993 GMC PICKUP (C/K/SIERRA SERIES) All Aluminum Radiator

ALL ALUMINUM RADIATOR, ALUM (34 x 16-7/8 x 1-3/4) - 2 Rows. --ALUMINUM, 20 lbs,

High Performance Replacement Radiator for your OEM Gmc pickup (c/k/sierra series) Radiator. Engineered for superior quality and exact fit. All aluminum construction. Aluminum tank with aluminum core. Our radiator will fit right into you vehicle with no modification required on your part. 2 Row radiator. We carry standard cooling as well as heavy duty cooling on certain models. Vari-core construction available on certain models to maximize core thickness while maintaining the original dimension of your radiator. Makes for easy installation and maximum cooling. Limited Lifetime warranty.

Our Price: $110.00
Availability: IN STOCK

Low price guarantee
This Product Fits the Following Vehicles:
Year Make Model Engine Size Cyl Notes
1992-93 GMC PICKUP (C/K/SIERRA SERIES) 5.7L V8 5.7L V8 ALL ALUMINUM, With Engine Oil Cooler, 34" Core - All Transmission.
1992-93 GMC PICKUP (C/K/SIERRA SERIES) 7.4L V8 7.4L V8 ALL ALUMINUM, With Engine Oil Cooler, 34" Core - All Transmission.
Availability: IN STOCK