Swapable alternators?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
Do you guys know if there are any higher amp stock GM alternators that will bolt in place of my 105 amp? I feel like it's not enough for my truck, since I run a lot of lighting (LEDs, but still), and have a few auxiliary harnesses connected to my battery. I wanted to see if I could find an NBS alternator at a junkyard, but someone told me the mounts are completely different. I feel like I need a bigger alt since soon I'm gonna be running two 10" subs with a 2400w Audiobahn amp.

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Db electrical has good deals on on 200 amp alternators....but as far as swapping i thought the suburbans had higher outputs...i could be wrong

Blind

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I swapped mine for a high amp model out of a newer 5.3l when I did my mark8 fan swap, made a huge difference (no more voltage drop spike at idle when the fan kicked on).

The mounts are 2/3 the same, but different :) The lower 2 mounting bolts work fine, and the top mounting bolt no longer fit, at least with my `96 vortech accessory brackets.

I completely forget which kind of truck it came out of, but I want to say it was just like a 2008 5.3L suburban? Here's pictures that show how much larger the case size is, I think it puts out closer to 130-150amps.

You must be registered for see images attach

^That is the newer high output alternator
You must be registered for see images attach

^And that is the stock `96 style alternator

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
TBI and vortecs are different. IIRC the only options for TBI trucks are aftermarket alternators.

KReePiN

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Just make sure you buy from a reputable person/business......sometime they sell high output alternators that in reality dont put out anything more then stock....read reviews.....not everybody is honest lmao