Swap "Moonies" for later year "Sweep" style

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
guesstimate your speed past 85.
That reminds me of a buddy of mine that had a 66 Toronado with the wrap around speedometer that went up to 135, we took it up to 15MPH, LOL. The only problem was it was at night and the vacuum hide-away headlights started to tilt down at above 85MPH.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pull the whole thing, take it apart and clean the contacts and reset the gauges. Some of mine were hit and miss but I did a full clean and reset when fixing the odometer and they all work great now. Almost pulled the trigger on updating mine to all LED and changing to red instead of green, but I live in an area where street lights are rare so I dim my dash way down to save night vision and LED’s dimming properly is really a crapshoot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Really? That would be great, maybe Ill try that. What is this "reset" you mentioned, how ?? Im wondering if the Original owner (after market gauge installer) used the OEM sending units for the GlowShift gauges, or at least their location, Hmmm
Thanks

Dover

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Really? That would be great, maybe Ill try that. What is this "reset" you mentioned, how ?? Im wondering if the Original owner (after market gauge installer) used the OEM sending units for the GlowShift gauges, or at least their location, Hmmm
Thanks

To “reset” simply remove the gauges from the main board, clean / inspect the contacts and reset them back into position. As far as the sending units being swapped out or rewired... I didn’t even think of that, would probably have to trace the wires back from the gauges to see where they get a signal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I prefer the factory look. You can indeed swap from moonies to needles but you need the special '90.5 instrument cluster which shares the same connector as the moonie cluster yet has needles like the 91 and up trucks do. You'll lose the 110mph top speed but gain a tach and the OEM look will be retained. I forget where I got the write up but I saved the important parts from it and have done this to two of our trucks..

You must be registered for see images attach

pntfrmr

Reaction score
I prefer the factory look. You can indeed swap from moonies to needles but you need the special '90.5 instrument cluster which shares the same connector as the moonie cluster yet has needles like the 91 and up trucks do. You'll lose the 110mph top speed but gain a tach and the OEM look will be retained. I forget where I got the write up but I saved the important parts from it and have done this to two of our trucks..

You must be registered for see images attach
did the 90.5 swap and got rid of my moonys but if you can find one in good shape most people know what they are worth i gave 250.00 for mine had 42300 on odometer Have to run a wire from the coil for the tach.

bobby v

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I guess for originality sake (which my truck has lost that as for the outer appearance at least) I should get the OEM Moonies working so that I retain the "110 mph speedo".
Is there any reason that both sets of gauges (the OEM's and the Glow Shift) wouldn't work in conjunction with one another, HMMM I wonder
Bobby V

mariodave

Reaction score
I have installed a 93 cluster in a 89 truck. I cut out the part of the dash that held the 89 connector, cut off the plug and spliced in the 93 connector. The circuits are the same and most of the wire colors are too. It all worked. I put lots of time into that truck and some lady pulled out in front of me and it was totaled. I an parting it out if you need anything.