Surging idle on cold start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

K-Man

Reaction score
Okay, so last night I took air cleaner off and started her up to look at the spray pattern and the throttle body was REALLY LOUD! Sucking sound, mechanical sounds, all from the throttle body, and the surging/miss, that went away after the two minutes. Then it quieted down and ran great. Any ideas??

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the throttle body was REALLY LOUD! Sucking sound,
IAC open farther than normal to accommodate the faster, cold idle?

mechanical sounds,
Injectors clicking?

What is your fuel pressure?

and the surging/miss, that went away after the two minutes. Then it quieted down and ran great.
Engine got warm enough that the computer discontinued the fast idle?

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Okay, so last night I took air cleaner off and started her up to look at the spray pattern and the throttle body was REALLY LOUD! Sucking sound, mechanical sounds, all from the throttle body, and the surging/miss, that went away after the two minutes. Then it quieted down and ran great. Any ideas??
did you just remove the lid or the whole air cleaner?

K-Man

Reaction score
IAC open farther than normal to accommodate the faster, cold idle?

Injectors clicking?

What is your fuel pressure?

Engine got warm enough that the computer discontinued the fast idle?
The injectors were clicking and fuel pressure at 13. The motor was hunting and surging and missing during the loud startup.

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
your air cleaner doesn't have the flapper schurkey is talking about?
i assume you plugged any vac lines if needed.
Thinger says his 94 doesn't have the flapper, just the tube from the exhaust manifold, my 95 has both.
if it ever stops raining i'll take a pic and test mine.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A picture would be good. I have trouble imagining that GM would put a heat stove and hose on the air cleaner...and NOT install a flapper.

But unlike the older ones, the GMT400/TBI flappers are not vacuum-operated. They've got a wax lump inside a mechanism, similar to the coolant thermostat. When the wax is cold, the flapper allows hot air into the snorkel. When it gets hot and expands, it shuts off the hot air. In-between, it's regulating the air temp inside the air cleaner.

And the whole thing is hidden, internal to the air cleaner.