Supercharger tuning + what gauges to run

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
I'm hoping someone might have some input, as this is the first boosted truck I've ran.

For those who know, I have a Whipple supercharger on my 98 K3500 with a 454. The current setup is 42lb injectors and a tuned Blackbox PCM by Westers in order to run the whipple on my truck. It's a canned tune at this point.

1: I've been reading a BUNCH of things, and am considering a 0411 swap, but i'm getting conflicting information from Westers saying it's not necessary and won't give me any benefit. My understanding is the 0411 will be able to read boost where the black box can't (above atmostphere), as well as be overall quicker / smoother. Tow/Haul isn't useful to me as I have the NV4500. I've been looking into EFI-Live through Blackbear Performance. Mostly curious what other boosted guys have done or opinions if the blackbox can be tuned properly for this.

2: Another question is what gauges should I be monitoring with the supercharger. Keep in mind, I'm using this at 6PSI of boost, hauling roughly 14,000-16,000 LBS up over the cascade mountains regularly. I have a wideband controller i'm going to log (no gauge currently). I've been thinking of running the following 4 gauges:
- Wideband Air Fuel - Can be useful to determine what conditions I may see lean/rich mixture in the varying driving I do, without having to log or try and remember what I was doing at the time.
- Pyrometer - Read about gas trucks boosted & towing, same setup as the diesel guys where you can just worried about being able to tell if i'm going to melt things down.... Wanted thoughts on this.
- Boost/Vac - Boost is more of a novelty, but can be useful in determining where to set my foot on the highway.
- Transmission Temp - Probably the least useful of the 4, but with the weight I tow I've heard people overheating them...

I'm not typically the one to ask these types of questions, but there is most a ton of people running setups like mine these days....

phule

Back in a 400 again
Reaction score
For my turbo cars those are about the same gauges i run.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

meterman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I run boost , fuel , wideband
Boost will help find vac leaks and other problems
Fuel will let u know if system taking a dump
Wide band to keep from leaning out and melting it down

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GMRedline

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ODBII scan gauges are pretty nice. I run this one on my Supercharged Redline.

http://www.aeroforcetech.com/products.html

It also has 5v inputs for readings that might not come from the PCM.

I run the dual gauges which allows me to monitor 4 different readings at once. The gauge also has the capability to cycle through different settings on the same gauge.

I watch

IAT1 (Incoming Air Temp)
IAT2 (Charged Air Temps)
AFR
Long Term Fuel Trims (Because I run E85 and there can be difference between stations)
Knock Retard - If I'm doing a lot of spirited driving.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I'd stop talking to Westers altogether, advocating against a 411 is the stupidest ******* thing I'VE ever heard in my life! The Blackbox is going to use the MAF for everything above atmospheric and I'm sure the MAF has dick all for resolution when moving that much. The 411 will allow your to run a 2 bar MAP and properly supply fuel and timing to the motor.

For gauges, I'd just run wideband and trans. Boost gauge is pretty lame on a motor making 6psi.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Thanks for the input guys. I think i've figured out the direction i'm going...

ODBII scan gauges are pretty nice. I run this one on my Supercharged Redline.

http://www.aeroforcetech.com/products.html

It also has 5v inputs for readings that might not come from the PCM.

I run the dual gauges which allows me to monitor 4 different readings at once. The gauge also has the capability to cycle through different settings on the same gauge.

I watch

IAT1 (Incoming Air Temp)
IAT2 (Charged Air Temps)
AFR
Long Term Fuel Trims (Because I run E85 and there can be difference between stations)
Knock Retard - If I'm doing a lot of spirited driving.
I'm not the biggest fan of digital gauges although that is one of the better ones I've seen. My only complaint is it's expensive! :lol: But to run a pyro and trans temp (I assume the truck will read the MAP sensor and tell me boost already) i'm still adding about $250 to the already $400 price tag.

I'd stop talking to Westers altogether, advocating against a 411 is the stupidest ******* thing I'VE ever heard in my life! The Blackbox is going to use the MAF for everything above atmospheric and I'm sure the MAF has dick all for resolution when moving that much. The 411 will allow your to run a 2 bar MAP and properly supply fuel and timing to the motor.

For gauges, I'd just run wideband and trans. Boost gauge is pretty lame on a motor making 6psi.
:lol: so far westers is the only person telling me to not run a 0411 PCM.

As far as the 2-bar MAP, is that different than the one currently in the truck?