Sub popping

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bigboi

Reaction score
My old system did it. I blamed it on running a LOC.

Mangonesailor

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
http://www.crutchfield.com/S-fFmHnzojCgs/p_500MRPF300/Alpine-MRP-F300.html
I'm not sure how to tune/ set gain. Here is the amp. That is the easiest way to get you specs. Here is the sub. I think it might be bad.
You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you on this, this thread is not in my subscriptions still.

The amp that you have there is for normal automotive speakers, not for a subwoofer. One channel will not give you much "thump" out of your subwoofer as it cannot continuously supply the voltage required to drive it. What you really need is a stout 700w (Peak) single-channel amp rated for 4ohms of resistance. If your sub is still popping and giving you a fit its more than likely still the amplifier that you're using. You COULD use a 2-channel amp, but it would only be able to use the "left" or "right" "half" of the music.

Setting gain can be tricky, but there's a smartphone app that I use whenever I mess with my own stuff or do someone else's. It's called "Audio Toolkit" and I know it's at least available for android. With it you just punch in what wattage you would want to send to you subwoofer at a given volume level, then your sub's ohm rating, and it will give you the voltage, in AC, that you should see on the output of a given channel on the amp. The app also generates a test-tone that you can play through your stereo via AUX or whatever, so that when you measure the voltage at the amp it will remain stable. If you set it with music you'll be chasing bass notes all night trying to get your gain correct.

OR.

You could use the formula: As an example I'll give you the voltage for setting your amps maximum output at 250watts. So, that would be 250w x 4ohm = 1000 . Now, find the square root of 1000.... and that's 31.6.... so you'll need to see 31.6Vac at the amplifier outputs. Then you need to play a 0dB sine wave tone of 50-60Hz continuously through your head unit, all the while checking the amp outputs and turning the gain knob. Now you're probably wondering where to get a test tone! I have no idea! That's why I use the app... I don't need 100 CD's to tune my stuff.

So, there ya go.

dangileri

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
mine does the same thing, and only started after the first time i blew the inline fuse. its just out of warrantee iirc, but i bought it new! a rockford fosgate t400.4 powering 2 shallow 10s. any suggestions on how to wire the amp?

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
You COULD use a 2-channel amp, but it would only be able to use the "left" or "right" "half" of the music.

I've used a 2ch amp for a SVC sub by utilizing the (+) of one channel & the (-) of the other channel. It worked for me, but not saying that it's the right thing to do. That sub lasted for more than a few years through all kinds of use & abuse.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I've used a 2ch amp for a SVC sub by utilizing the (+) of one channel & the (-) of the other channel. It worked for me, but not saying that it's the right thing to do. That sub lasted for more than a few years through all kinds of use & abuse.

This is true, most two channel amps can be bridged for mono operation. Not all, but most.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
And there is only one way to find out if yours can! Try it and see!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

96Z71ECSB

Old Gearhead
Reaction score
His Alpine MRP-F300 can only run 4/3/2 channel only.
My suggestion is to bridge the rear channels to power the 4 ohm sub (Low pass, gain set to "NOM", crossover set to "100"). Do not use a lower impedance sub with the rear channels bridged.
Power your trucks front right and left speakers with the front channels of the amp (High pass, gain set to "NOM", crossover set to "100").
You may have to use "Y" jacks if the Dual head unit has 1 set of RCA outputs. "Y" jacks also require raising the gain setting a little more (towards the Max setting).

The following usually happens when an amp is pushed hard (turned up loud).
If the gain settings are set too high, you'll know it. The amp will shut off and turn back on repeatedly. Just back the gain off (towards "MIN") a little bit until the protection circuit stops shutting the amp off.

I set the gain on amps based on the RCA output voltage of the head unit. But not all amps mark the input voltage on the gain dial.