Stupid question about brake shoes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are those drums "slide-on" or do they attach to the hubs using the lug studs as "rivets".

Are the rear wheel bearings adjusted properly?

Did you clean the anti-rust coating off the friction surface of the drums?

Rear wheel cylinders leaking? Contaminated shoes can be grabby.

Does the truck vibrate/shake when you use only the park brake as you roll to a stop?

CrustyJunker

Is STILL Here?
Reaction score
My votes on the drums also. And its very common for new drums and rotors to be warped. Unfortunately I see it way to often at work

True story. Also a victim of this on another car - brand new drums out of round. I thought maybe I had contaminated drum(s) with some leftover cosmoline or storage oil or something. Tossed the old ones on to go to work - no vibration.

Cleaned the "new," ones and reinstalled... Same vibration was back. I paid a little extra for name brand drums instead of generic parts store replacements, too. Pretty disappointed.

drumsdaddy

Reaction score
My votes on the drums also. And its very common for new drums and rotors to be warped. Unfortunately I see it way to often at work

I agree with dropped88. I worked in the garage for a utility company and we always had new drums/rotors turned before install. Just because it's new doesn't mean it's perfect.

I took an evening class on brakes/alignment/etc at the community college. The instructor said it was common for drivers to cram on the emergency pedal so hard that the rear brake drums would actually warp and wouldn't release. He said if the emergency brake was adjusted properly along with the other rear brake parts, said driver wouldn't have to cram the emergency brake pedal clear to the firewall.

Yet...we're creatures of habit.........

Marko Garcia

Reaction score
Them silly “precision made” rotors and drums available at any auto parts stores...are anything BUT precisely made. In the shop I worked at, EVERY brand new rotor or drum was put on the lathe for at least one pass, more if it turned out to not be true.

Ehall8702

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yep square drums straight from china! We turn new ones before they even go on, too many times they have to be taken off and put on lathe to fix same issue, so we just do it first now. Also if the shoes are set too tight they could be exaggerating the issue too.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
You never know how many times a given new brake drum has been dropped by someone during its trip from the factory to the parts store. I learned this back in the late 70s in the family's auto parts store. And back then,drums were sturdier.....

Jeeperguy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Are those drums "slide-on" or do they attach to the hubs using the lug studs as "rivets".

Are the rear wheel bearings adjusted properly?

Did you clean the anti-rust coating off the friction surface of the drums?

Rear wheel cylinders leaking? Contaminated shoes can be grabby.

Does the truck vibrate/shake when you use only the park brake as you roll to a stop?
Slide on style, all brand new no leaks or contamination

Jeeperguy

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
So after a 900 mile trip with shity rear brakes that vibrated and did weird **** every time I came to a stop, Luckily all freeway driving, and when I got back I immediately went and had the drums turned and sure enough, brake vibration is gone! The next morning I got up and ran to get a coffee and noticed squealing coming from somewhere. Pulled front tire and found my inner front bearing was just about seized! Git lucky I made it home without a roadside repair.