stuff that catches my eye

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If the Dodge I sold had been that color combo and 4x4, I wouldn't have sold it.
I really like the color combo and a 4x4 is a must for me. I’ve been wanting a dodge for a while. This seems to be a pretty good deal, has no oil leaks and has a six speed which gets rid of the troublesome autos. I have mainly been looking for stock trucks to start on so i know what’s done to it.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
I really like the color combo and a 4x4 is a must for me. I’ve been wanting a dodge for a while. This seems to be a pretty good deal, has no oil leaks and has a six speed which gets rid of the troublesome autos. I have mainly been looking for stock trucks to start on so i know what’s done to it.

If I had kept my 2wd '02 HO, I had planned to dump the NV5600 and swap in the later G-56. Because aluminum trans is lighter, and I wasn't planning more than an additional 100-150 horse on the 24 valve.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If I had kept my 2wd '02 HO, I had planned to dump the NV5600 and swap in the later G-56. Because aluminum trans is lighter, and I wasn't planning more than an additional 100-150 horse on the 24 valve.
I understand that. I probably would just leave it how it is just to save myself work, and money. If i get it i may end up building it eventually but not anything crazy. Did you ever have any problems with the 5.9?

Dravec

Reaction score
I understand that. I probably would just leave it how it is just to save myself work, and money. If i get it i may end up building it eventually but not anything crazy. Did you ever have any problems with the 5.9?

Long story short, there's a reason the 5.9 Cummins is so legendary. I had zero issues out of the motor, but I had what I believe was a slowly failing aftermarrket lift pump, and the guts of the NV5600 were starting to go. And the turbo had such a short powerband. That truck only really made power in a 600-700 rpm range. Had to wait for the boost to kick in, pulled hard for a few seconds, then fell on her face and I had to shift. Maybe that was because of inadequate fueling, or possibly a bad wastegate. I dunno. Never dug into that before I got tired of dumping $80-$100 in the tank every week, and spending $120 on an oil change every 5k miles. She was a nice truck overall, besides they stereotypical dash, kidney brusing rough ride, and not a straight panel on her. New headlight housings were my favorite upgrade I made to her. Anzo black housing non smoked, from Summit. They were simply amazing. Actually, favorite upgrade was installing a muffler. MBRP Quietflow. Straight through, absolutely killed the resonance. Still sounded good. Oh, and the most irritating thing was the 4-5 upshift. The NV5600 didn't have a lockout on reverse, so if you weren't careful or got in a hurry, you'd go from 4th to trying to shove it in reverse. Totally frustrating. Another reason I wanted the G-56. Reverse was high left, like the S6-650 behind an 8.1.

Last edited:

Aarong23

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Long story short, there's a reason the 5.9 Cummins is so legendary. I had zero issues out of the motor, but I had what I believe was a slowly failing aftermarrket lift pump, and the guts of the NV5600 were starting to go. And the turbo had such a short powerband. That truck only really made power in a 600-700 rpm range. Had to wait for the boost to kick in, pulled hard for a few seconds, then fell on her face and I had to shift. Maybe that was because of inadequate fueling, or possibly a bad wastegate. I dunno. Never dug into that before I got tired of dumping $80-$100 in the tank every week, and spending $120 on an oil change every 5k miles. She was a nice truck overall, besides they stereotypical dash, kidney brusing rough ride, and not a straight panel on her. New headlight housings were my favorite upgrade I made to her. Anzo black housing non smoked, from Summit. They were simply amazing. Actually, favorite upgrade was installing a muffler. MBRP Quietflow. Straight through, absolutely killed the resonance. Still sounded good. Oh, and the most irritating thing was the 4-5 upshift. The NV5600 didn't have a lockout on reverse, so if you weren't careful or got in a hurry, you'd go from 4th to trying to shove it in reverse. Totally frustrating. Another reason I wanted the G-56. Reverse was high left, like the S6-650 behind an 8.1.
Those don't have a lockout to stop you from going into reverse by mistake?
I bet a few of those trans have exploded because of that. Lol

Dravec

Reaction score
Those don't have a lockout to stop you from going into reverse by mistake?
I bet a few of those trans have exploded because of that. Lol

Nah. Doesn't explode. By the time you're shifting from 4-5, trans is spinning far too fast to find purchase on the reverse gear, so it just grinds, and you have to go back to the center gate and try again. Just incredibly annoying.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That’s good to hear you didn’t have problems with the motor. I know that everything is gonna have it’s little problems that drive you nuts. I’ve never owned a diesel before so it would all be new to me, however i know they are pretty expensive to maintain and i know they love fuel. That would probably be one of the first things I would want to do to it, is the exhaust. I never knew about the trans not having a lockout, that seems like it could be dangerous lol. Overall I know it’s not a brand new truck and it may have its problems now and then, but it is newer than anything i have and i need something a little more reliable. Im hoping i can get it, but I gotta wait until next Saturday to head to the bank and talk to them.

White96k2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow! Here in Louisville, Kentucky that truck would probably cause traffic accidents from people staring at it. That era Dodge truck is ALWAYS rusted severely. So much so that I can't even fuss about the asking price. They simply don't exist in this condition here.
That’s one thing around here that I cant complain about. My 400 doesn’t have one spec of rust on it besides a few chips on the hood.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
That is very nice looking 2nd gen. Price isn't too bad, could be worse.

Wow! Here in Louisville, Kentucky that truck would probably cause traffic accidents from people staring at it. That era Dodge truck is ALWAYS rusted severely. So much so that I can't even fuss about the asking price. They simply don't exist in this condition here.
For real though, those 2nd gens can get nasty here in Iowa. There was a guy selling a blue 2nd gen Cummins that had over 200k miles and the body was shot, but wanted $6k. I'd be lucky to get $6k out of my 98!! lol