strange ticking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98CheyenneCO

Reaction score
hey everyone, im new to the forum.

98 Cheyenne 5.7

so tonight i leave work, throw my truck in reverse (automatic BTW) and i hear this loud noise, almost like metal on metal or like if you were to bang two pipes together. Truck backs out like normal. now when i shift it into drive, same thing. this time the noise is a little more constant, usually just as soon as i give it a little gas. does it a few times and when it shifts it goes away. if im light on the pedal its on n off usually just accelerating from a dead stop. if i get on it and run hard its a constant tick and its more n more constant the faster i go.

ive had this truck 3 months n i love it but im pretty frustrated. never done any transmission work before.

if anyone knows what im talking about before its time to throw this thing in the shop id love to hear some suggestions.

Thanks.

rhino

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I've had 2 of these come in this week. Try this. Pull up to a hill, put it in reverse, back up 3 feet then slam the brakes. See if it gets loud. Then back up the hill, pull forward 3 feet then slam the brakes. If it gets quite it's most likely the starter bendix spring broken. That allows the starter gear to float back and hit the flywheel.