Strange beads in 5.7L Vortec intake box

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

denhamt1983

Reaction score
Hi all, probably stupid question, but removed my air intake box to get to exhaust manifold and a ton of these small, tan beads spilled out of the small square box attached to the intake. Any idea what they're for? Should I put them back in? I found as many as I can, but not sure if they're even supposed to be there. Thanks!

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Got any pictures? My guess would be some rodent chewed a hole in a filter at one point and hid them up there.

I wouldn't put them back, and I'd make sure you got all the rest of them out of there.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi all, probably stupid question, but removed my air intake box to get to exhaust manifold and a ton of these small, tan beads spilled out of the small square box attached to the intake. Any idea what they're for? Should I put them back in? I found as many as I can, but not sure if they're even supposed to be there. Thanks!
You can haul them around if you like, might make for good company on those long drives lol. They're not necessary, probably kicked them up into the fender and got sucked into the intake cleaner box. As long as you're talking about the box the filter is housed in, you shouldn't have any problems, if you're taking about the intake box that's located in the intake tube between the filter and the throttle body, you may have some issues, but your filter should be preventing that, so I'm assuming you mean the air cleaner housing. Take the housing out, house it out and reinstall, it'll prevent them from contacting your filter and preventing airflow, though they sound like they're too dense to be sucked into the filter.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

denhamt1983

Reaction score
Got any pictures? My guess would be some rodent chewed a hole in a filter at one point and hid them up there.

I wouldn't put them back, and I'd make sure you got all the rest of them out of there.

That was my thought, too, but just didnt know if there was something I didnt know! Thanks!

denhamt1983

Reaction score
You can haul them around if you like, might make for good company on those long drives lol. They're not necessary, probably kicked them up into the fender and got sucked into the intake cleaner box. As long as you're talking about the box the filter is housed in, you shouldn't have any problems, if you're taking about the intake box that's located in the intake tube between the filter and the throttle body, you may have some issues, but your filter should be preventing that, so I'm assuming you mean the air cleaner housing. Take the housing out, house it out and reinstall, it'll prevent them from contacting your filter and preventing airflow, though they sound like they're too dense to be sucked into the filter.

They were in a square box that has a small opening, attached to the pipe coming in from the fender, before the filter. I'm home for lunch but will take pics when I get back to the shop

denhamt1983

Reaction score
When squeezed between two fingers they crumble apart, almost like the core of an acorn (had a Caballero that squirrels packed the intake full of acorns before ) but these are just different. Maybe a different kind of nut. The truck is from Minnesota, and currently in Colorado, and I'm from Georgia originally, so plenty of nuts I'm not aware of o guess

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
They were in a square box that has a small opening, attached to the pipe coming in from the fender, before the filter. I'm home for lunch but will take pics when I get back to the shop
Ok, then as long as your filter is in good shape, you should be good just cleaning them out. If it was a critter, pull the filter and check the underside to ensure they didn't try to snack on it.