Stock speaker impedance?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
I can't find anything on the internet about the impedance of the stock speakers in the doors for the 96+ interior. Does anyone know? I have an equalizer that says 8 ohm minimum impedance or it may damage the unit.

Sent from my Vortec powered HTC One M8

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I want to say they're standard 4 ohm units but don't quote me on that... Never actually took a meter to mine. 99% sure though.

EDIT - Unless you have one of the Bose systems in an Escalade or something. Then stuff gets weird.

Double Edit - 8 ohms is pretty much the standard for home stereo speakers. Sounds like your EQ was designed for that purpose.

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
I want to say they're standard 4 ohm units but don't quote me on that... Never actually took a meter to mine. 99% sure though.

EDIT - Unless you have one of the Bose systems in an Escalade or something. Then stuff gets weird.

Double Edit - 8 ohms is pretty much the standard for home stereo speakers. Sounds like your EQ was designed for that purpose.

It's definitely a car audio EQ. It has 12v power and the old school DIN plugs. It's a very old unit. Are there any ways to check impedance with a multimeter?

77Impala

The Hauler
Reaction score
Disconnect one of the speakers and test accross the terminals. Then you will know.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Disconnect one of the speakers and test accross the terminals. Then you will know.

This right here. Set the meter to DC resistance.

Also, what model EQ? Got any pics? I kind of collect old school car audio equipment so I'd like to check it out. 8 ohms is not a very common resistance for car speakers.

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
It's a Realistic 12-1955 from the sticker on top.
You must be registered for see images
You must be registered for see images

From the searching I found in the internet its a late 80s early 90s RadioShack brand equalizer, and the manual for it on their site says 8 ohms.
I hooked it up to a ground and aux power just to see if it powered on and it lit up, so I'm assuming it works.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Right on, thanks for the pics! Neat looking old piece. To be honest though I wouldn't put any time into that. Realistic stereo gear is pretty bottom of the barrel. I'm fairly sure that you won't get any improved results out of that even if the speakers were the correct impedance. I'm willing to bet you could get your stereo sounding nicer with your factory bass/treble knobs than you could with that EQ.

96C1500

No money, truck problems
Reaction score
Alright, thanks for the input. I'll have to play around with the bass/treble controls once I get the sub hooked up.

Dr.Zoom

Hi Tech Redneck
Reaction score
I looked at my old blown stock speaker and it is 4 ohm.