Stepside Bubbling Issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Kurt3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I want to get my truck repainted, but the problem is the shops around here that I have gone won't guarantee that this bubbling problem wont come back once they fix what is there now. They also said they have never seen a problem like this before. I don't want to spend all that money and have the bubbling come back in say 2-5 years.One suggestion is to get new stepside fenders, but they are becoming very hard to find because GM doesn't make them anymore.

Has any one seen this before? Mine and my dads truck are doing this but I only have pictures of mine. One more thing I should add is my truck has been repainted once already, the original colour is teal.
You must be registered for see images attach

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
My 88 is doing that bad. Most of those look like mine, they are from rocks flying up in the fender, creating a way for water and crap to get in eventually it creates the bubbles and cracks like your getting.

I also have a large crack in one wheelwell, and the step pads are stressed and cracking too.

RHamill

Ryan
Reaction score
My cab corners are doing that, I'm not dumping a bunch of money to get it fixed, when it gets to the point where I can't stand it, I'll retire my truck to a wood hauler and swap my universal stuff over to another truck. (wheels, stereo, tonneau cover)

Kurt3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
88 GMC, can you post up a couple of pictures of your fenders, I'm interested in seeing how they compare to mine.

shortchevy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Crap, I forgot to get you picts.

Mines factory paint.

just curious cause Im on factory paint
I want to see pix too, I redid a vette a couple years back with my dad and I know when fiberglass gets kit by stones it spiders but this almost looks like moisture or contamination on the surface before paint.

OlSmokie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images
Did you ever find out what was causing this. My neighbors 90 is doing the same thing and it's getting worse. He thought that the undercoating might be reacting with the fiberglass