steering wheel compatibility

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
I need to know a list of non airbag steering wheels that will fit a 1995 Chevy Suburban C2500. It looks like the steering wheel off my 97 would fit, but I am unsure what else might fit. I'm looking to get rid of the airbag and assumed that getting a new horn button/center cover would be all I need but the steering wheel itself is different, including size of cover 'hole' and cover mounts. I saw a steering wheel for a 99 Tahoe on ebay that looks about right.

I'd like to stick with a stock steering wheel as opposed to getting something aftermarket.

For those who may ask, I dont like airbags because I where glasses and I wear my seatbelt, I'd prefer not to have my glasses embedded in my skull.

Currently I have the airbag fuse fuse and the plug on the back of the airbag itself unplugged, it has a shorting bar so I at least wont have to worry about accidental static discharge.

Thanks

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
The C/K2500 wheels are non airbag and will bolt right on from 95-2001 in the GMT400 chassis.

Scrufdog

Pork chop sandwiches
Reaction score
Thanks.

From what I can tell, that Tahoe steering wheel wont work. The center pad I got was from a pickup. From what I can see my Suburban only came with an airbag. So now the search begins for a 95-2001 non airbag steering wheel. Thanks for the info.

Mischiefse7en

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this is the wheel i have, i think any GM wheel from the 60's on up should fit

You must be registered for see images attach

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
this is the wheel i have, i think any GM wheel from the 60's on up should fit

The shaft size and splines for the older wheel are correct but the "dish" is wrong. The airbag style column (even the non-airbag models like 2500, 3500) use a very deep dish wheel in order to house the airbag. When you use an older style wheel they are shallower and the turn signal stalk will tend to be in an awkward position.

Worst example I can give is I tried swapping a Grant 14" leather/aluminum wheel w/the aluminum hub kit, from an 88-94 style column, onto a 96. The turn signal lever hit the wheel rim. On a stock wheel which is around 16" diameter -might not- hit, but definitely not in an ideal position.

Simplest swap to get non-airbag in the 95 is as already mentioned - just get a non-airbag wheel from a 95-up 2500, 3500, even 3500HD. A while back I even had the amazing luck to find a brand new one in stock at a local dealer. Not cheap, but hard to beat the feel of a steering wheel that isn't all worn out:

Richard

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
It's been a awhile, but I thin the 88-94's were a taper fit whereas the 95+ were splined.

I seem to recall my 89 was tapered when I put the Eurosport steering wheel on it:

*edit: scratch that. Just went out to the garage and checked. It was splined. Truck is long gone but I still have the steering wheel....

Last edited:

Mischiefse7en

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The shaft size and splines for the older wheel are correct but the "dish" is wrong. The airbag style column (even the non-airbag models like 2500, 3500) use a very deep dish wheel in order to house the airbag. When you use an older style wheel they are shallower and the turn signal stalk will tend to be in an awkward position.

Worst example I can give is I tried swapping a Grant 14" leather/aluminum wheel w/the aluminum hub kit, from an 88-94 style column, onto a 96. The turn signal lever hit the wheel rim. On a stock wheel which is around 16" diameter -might not- hit, but definitely not in an ideal position.

Richard

this guy put one on his 97 using the 88-94 kit and the stalk doesn't look any closer than normal to me, could be different on oem wheels though... :shrug:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
The picture is misleading. The angle of the lever is such that you'll bump it every time your hand passes it gripping the wheel.

Also, note how the cheesy rubber boot from the included adapter is bunched up at the bottom; it rubs the lip on the column shroud plastics. If you spent the extra bucks for the aluminum adapter that Grant offers, you'd have to trim that lip all the way off. Been there, done that, only to find out what I explained earlier with the lever in the way.

Richard

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
In other words, you need to make a thicker adapter to run a aftermarket wheel on one of these trucks.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Yes, if you look at the adapter that ... I think Billet Specialties? Offers for their wheels to be used on "non airbag" 1995-up trucks, it's longer. Well, it looks like it is, to me anyway. :D Their tech info shows it as 2.25" (part # 31126)

Richard