Steering Shaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PewterK1500

Reaction score
If it's not the box, I'd suspect the rag joint. Unfortunately, after I replaced my rag joint the steering wheel isn't clocked right. I'll revisit it again eventually, as the reman box I have is starting to get sloppy.
I replaced the rag joint on my 1998 K1500 a few weeks ago and I have the same issue with the steering wheel out of center. It took about 50% of the slop out of my steering. It was a Lares coupling from Rockauto.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
While I have not yet used one, I hear an Astro/Safari van steering shaft U-Joint is a good way to replace the rag joint.

Eskimomann209

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I used a flaming river type u joint
Much less than the actual part and went on very well
Imfor a 98 no issues

mistaake

Reaction score
Alright soooo my Lares 205 steering coupler is en route from RockAutoShipsSoSlow and when my next paycheck arrives I'm going to order a Bluetop steering gearbox. It's apparently comparable to a Redhead, just at a more budget-friendly price for my old truck. Trying to decide between Quick Ratio and Standard - any preference? I'm gonna put both parts in at the same time to hopefully help with the slop in the steering.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Alright soooo my Lares 205 steering coupler is en route from RockAutoShipsSoSlow and when my next paycheck arrives I'm going to order a Bluetop steering gearbox. It's apparently comparable to a Redhead, just at a more budget-friendly price for my old truck. Trying to decide between Quick Ratio and Standard - any preference? I'm gonna put both parts in at the same time to hopefully help with the slop in the steering.

4WD right? If so, stick to the standard ratio box. Not recommended to put a quick ratio box in the taller K frame trucks.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
4WD right? If so, stick to the standard ratio box. Not recommended to put a quick ratio box in the taller K frame trucks.

Why not the quick ratio in a 4x4? I wouln't personally, as I think the box in my dad's old 96 C1500 was a faster ratio and I didn't like it... too hard at slow speeds. I can (and do) spin my with one finger.