Steering gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

needlenose

Reaction score
When I bought my Suburban it was leaking PS fluid like a sieve. I had researched the reseal process before I bought it so I knew what I was in for. I resealed it according to the instructions and replaced the PS pump with a non-EVO unit as well. I had read a lot of people were eliminating the bypass for safety reasons.

So now, one year later, it's back to leaking like a sieve and the pump is already growling. The steering is also really sensitive. So I'm going back to the valved pump and I'm just going to replace the entire steering gear. I checked the pitman shaft when I resealed and I didn't see a groove, but....

Is there any certain brand to get? Any brands to stay away from? Not looking to take out a mortgage for one, just something that won't start leaking in a year.

Thanks!

MIHELA

1-5-6-3-4-2-7-8
Reaction score
Stay away from the cheaper remans for sure. Atsco comes to mind as one in particular to stay away from, also bottom tier
AC Delco.

Reaction score
Redhead by far
X2 on the RedHead...been running one on my 2000 Escalade a year and a half, around 14k miles, lots of city maneuvering, and it's still just as tight as when new. Only mistake was rebuilding every single piece of suspension and steering EXCEPT steering gear and rag joint while truck was torn down for engine replacement. Damn, I still kick myself for not swapping the gear while I already had it basically out of the truck!