Steering bushing replacement questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
My 97 4x4 Yukons front suspension is tired. Drivers inner wheel is wearing ab normally When lined up on ramps it looks as if one tire is facing the other more . It drives fine but I know somethings not right.
Considering i just rebuilt the 4l60e , replace gaskets in , on the top end of the motor, new mfi spider , lower mains and bearings with oil pump. I want to focus on worn parts now. Im not much of a suspension guy I can count on one hand the amount of times Ive had to work on stuff related to problems like this.
I want to replace bushing and such try to redo the front stock suspension . Im am not sure what to look for . Can I buy the rubber bushing and replace or do I need new parts?
What parts or bushings by name exactly should I be looking replace? Any suggestions?

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
In relation to your steering system the parts subject to wear on our tucks are the pitman arm, idler arm, idler arm bracket, and tie rods. The pitman arm is the unit that drops down directly from your steering gear box and transmits its motion to the center drag link (or relay rod as some people call them). The idler arm essentially does the same job as the pitman arm, but is located on the passenger side and passively supports the passengers side of the drag link. The idler arm essentially floats and does not transmit steering torque from the driver's input. Over time these arms get sloppy and cause play in the steering wheel. The suspension is what utilizes the bushings I believe you're thinking of. Where both the lower and upper arms mount to the frame rail, there is a rubber bushing that flexes to create articulation as we drive over bumps, etc. These also get worn and become sloppy overtime. I just replaced all of these parts this summer on my truck, and it makes a huge difference! It was time consuming and a bit expensive but well worth it. I recommend Moog brand components if you're going to rebuild the front end, Moog will last at least as long as the stock units did. If you need the part numbers I can look them back up. :) Sorry for the long winded reply.

Mrich0908

Pshhhhttttt!
Reaction score
No worries , thank you. At least I have some thing to start with. Im tired of stuff just breaking and waiting until last minute. I love my truck so I might as well show it some TLC.
I should be able to find the parts I need . I know Rocauto carry's Moog. If I have any problems finding what I need Ill report back.
Again thank you for the reply.

Tech-GeeK1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Not a problem at all! Good luck getting everything swapped out, it's definitely a chore.