Starts, runs, but then won't start again for a while

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Burb

Reaction score
1997 K2500 Chevy Burb, that just purchased has issue that starts fine, but after reaching running temperature, if you stop for less than 20 minutes starts up OK. But if stop longer than 20 minutes, have to wait several hours prior to having vehicle restart. 10 mechanics (per previous owner) couldn't figure it out. Any help appreciated.

homermacleod

Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my truck, It was hard to start after driving around and stopping for a little bit. The shop I took it to a shop and they said it was the fuel pressure regulator. I have not had any other problems after it was changed. I did replace the idle air control valve at the same time since someone else suggested that.

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I need more data. After the vehicle sits for more than twenty minutes, and will not start, does it still have spark? Fuel pressure? Is the motor turning over and not starting, or is the starter not turning the motor over? Which engine is this? Has anything been replaced or suggested to remedy the issue? Have you personally taken it to mechanic and had them try to diagnose it, or is it just what the PO did? Honestly, for ten different mechanics, or even two different mechanics to have looked at a consistently reproducible issue and not be able to make heads or tails of it is a bit odd, to say the least. The problem I always had (and still have) is reproducing the issue that the customer is complaining about. If you can do that, and have the tools and talent to track down the cause, then you're golden.