Starting issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
1997 c1500 5.7l vortec.

Truck has a hard time starting if it sits for about 12 hours or so but it's not consistent, sometimes it fires right up and sometimes it acts like it's not getting fuel, engine only attempts to fire off if you let off the starter and just leave the key on. After you let off the starter it hits but its almost like its dieseling (not actual dieseling like a carb motor does). A new Delphi fuel pump was installed but it did not fix the problem. Key on and engine off it has exactly 55psi of fuel pressure, has the upgraded multi port injector system on it. Coolant residue was found on cylinder #2 plug but I dont see how that would kill all the cylinders on start up and intermittently at that. No mil on at the moment but the 2 codes it has recently thrown were post cat o2 sensor low voltage (new one on the way) and random multiple cylinder engine misfire. It has acdelco iridium plugs with 30k miles or so, the plugs are in decent shape. I have a twin to this truck and all sensor data is identical between the two. I have attached screenshots of the sensor data for this truck (hard starting truck) while it was idling at operating temp. Please note that the o2 voltage levels constantly bounce up and down so the timing of the screenshot makes it appear that they are not reading correctly but they are , water temp was also working but flashing so the gauge appears to not be reading but is.
You must be registered for see images attach

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Rent a compression tester and check all 8 cylinders.
If you have coolant on a plug that means headgasket most likey. And I've seen some that had too low of compression to fire off from a headgasket.

Sent from my HiDiNg PlAcE

Reaction score
The coolant is from the intake gasket...and it had very weak spark on start up so a new coil has been put on so the next couple of cold starts will tell.

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ahhh! I forgot about the older engines with the coolant going thru the intake....
Just kidding then.
Your on the right track...

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My buddy's 98 acted weird like that then one day it wouldn't ever crank.
Distr gear had worn down alot on the cam gear and timing was way off.
New distr fixed it right up.

Reaction score
I tore down the motor 20k miles ago (didnt touch the rotating assembly) and spent a pretty penny putting the very best felpro had on it, severe duty head gaskets, valve stem seals, oil pan gasket ect. even did the ls6 valve springs and comp retainers. Saw how pitted the lower manifold was then and knew it was a matter of time.

Reaction score
I tore down the motor 20k miles ago (didnt touch the rotating assembly) and spent a pretty penny putting the very best felpro had on it, severe duty head gaskets, valve stem seals, oil pan gasket ect. even did the ls6 valve springs and comp retainers. Saw how pitted the lower manifold was then and knew it was a matter of time.
Btw the motor was at 200k when I tore it down and cross hatching was visible in all 8 cylinders so that "myth" is true about these l31's, they have very little bore wear

RDF1

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Btw the motor was at 200k when I tore it down and cross hatching was visible in all 8 cylinders so that "myth" is true about these l31's, they have very little bore wear
Nice!
I tore down a few LQ4s with 300k and 360k miles in them. They all looked good with cross hatchs.
Just had some wear in bearings.

Try to take the rotor cap off and see if you got any slack in Dist?