Starter Troubles from Hell...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJ850

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I recently purchased a 93' C1500, I had it running pretty fair for about a month there before I began having my first starter issues. One day, the starter finally gave it's all and bit the dust. I replaced it with a refurbished starter from my local parts store. When I cranked it up with the new starter it cranked up immediately. The best that I've heard it crank since I've owned it. That day I decided to pick up a kayak, and while on that trip about 5-10 minutes go by of me driving and I notice that my lights in the cab seem to be dimming and I seem to be losing occasional acceleration even though I'm pressing the throttle! Well my gas gauge has also been fluctuating from about the midway point and will drop down to E sometimes before jumping back up. So about 20 min into my trip I decided I need to fill up on some gas just to be safe. I stopped, filled her up, and I turn my key on the lights come on, I turn it to crank and POOOF! A big plume of smoke comes up from underneath the hood, I initially thought it could've been my battery since I thought I shorted it with my wrench for a quick second after putting my starter in. I replaced the battery under warranty and verified it's good. I looked at the end of my positive battery cables and they had corroded ends and I noticed it looked like the smaller positive cable was completely burnt through. I cutout the burnt section and replaced the corroded ends. As I was putting my battery cables back on I was getting a lot of sparking from the battery, it almost sounded like something popped inside the truck. I started examining the positive cables a little closer going down to the starter, it looks possible that they could've burnt up on the exhaust manifold. Upon inspection, I had my arm leaned on the body close to one of the grounds and as I would move around the positive cables I could hear what sounded like arcing and it felt like I could feel a little sting from that ground too. Even though I have 12.6 volts at the battery, I'm getting absolutely zero power to the cab. When I get a chance, I believe I'll just go ahead and replace the both positive cables and hope that it works!

What do you guys think? Does it sound like a bad cable? Is it even possible to blow a fuse just by putting on the cables? Has anyone else had to deal with issues such as these?

All replies appreciated, thank you! :)

Last edited:

SAATR

/\___/\___/\___/\___/\
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I recently purchased a 93' C/K1500, I had it running pretty fair for about a month there before I began having my first starter issues. One day, the starter finally gave it's all and bit the dust. I replaced it with a refurbished starter from my local parts store. When I cranked it up with the new starter it cranked up immediately. The best that I've heard it crank since I've owned it. That day I decided to pick up a kayak, and while on that trip about 5-10 minutes go by of me driving and I notice that my lights in the cab seem to be dimming and I seem to be losing occasional acceleration even though I'm pressing the throttle! Well my gas gauge has also been fluctuating from about the midway point and will drop down to E sometimes before jumping back up. So about 20 min into my trip I decided I need to fill up on some gas just to be safe. I stopped, filled her up, and I turn my key on the lights come on, I turn it to crank and POOOF! A big plume of smoke comes up from underneath the hood, I initially thought it could've been my battery since I thought I shorted it with my wrench for a quick second after putting my starter in. I replaced it under warranty and verified it's good. I looked at the end of my positive battery cables and they had corroded ends and I noticed it looked like the smaller positive cable was completely burnt through. I cutout the burnt section and replaced the corroded ends. As I was putting my battery cables back on I was getting a lot of sparking from the battery, it almost sounded like something popped inside the truck. I started examining the positive cables a little closer going down to the starter, it looks possible that they could've burnt up on the exhaust manifold. Upon inspection, I had my arm leaned on the body close to one of the grounds and as I would move around the positive cables I could hear what sounded like arcing and it felt like I could feel a little sting from that ground too. Even though I have 12.6 volts at the battery, I'm getting absolutely zero power to the cab. When I get a chance, I believe I'll just go ahead and replace the both positive cables and hope that it works! What do you guys think? Does it sound like a bad cable? Is it even possible to blow a fuse just by putting on the cables? Has anyone else had to deal with issues such as these? All replies appreciated, thank you! :)

Given your sequence of events, I'd say that you absolutely burned the starter cable and had a direct short to ground, which smoked the battery. You likely moved the starter power cable during starter installation and did not notice that it was touching the exhaust, or rubbing. As to what popped in the cab, I can't say. You need to fix the known issue with the cabling and start checking fuses. Direct battery shorts can make all sorts of things go haywire.

AJ850

Reaction score
Given your sequence of events, I'd say that you absolutely burned the starter cable and had a direct short to ground, which smoked the battery. You likely moved the starter power cable during starter installation and did not notice that it was touching the exhaust, or rubbing. As to what popped in the cab, I can't say. You need to fix the known issue with the cabling and start checking fuses. Direct battery shorts can make all sorts of things go haywire.
I had some free time today, so I went ahead and pulled out that starter cable completely. What I found was exactly that! It looked like the smaller positive cable coming from the battery going to power the junction block got heated on the exhaust manifold and burnt up. I replaced both positive cables just to be safe and then tossed the starter back in, zip tied it all, went to crank it, and she fired right up! Thanks for the help! :mexsmoke:

Attachments

• 341F91EA-5B27-4BBF-A074-4CE2DBA0044A.jpeg
    341F91EA-5B27-4BBF-A074-4CE2DBA0044A.jpeg
    473.1 KB · Views: 21
  • A1A1A3AD-1D95-4DF4-B612-A1AC98406AC4.jpeg
    A1A1A3AD-1D95-4DF4-B612-A1AC98406AC4.jpeg
    304.7 KB · Views: 20
  • 3E4BA938-FEDB-4ED1-A097-8EF73290ABB1.jpeg
    3E4BA938-FEDB-4ED1-A097-8EF73290ABB1.jpeg
    200.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 549C87AA-49C3-47C3-8BA2-9A6E78672B19.jpeg
    549C87AA-49C3-47C3-8BA2-9A6E78672B19.jpeg