Started on the double din swap

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
As most of you know my lovely fiancée got me a new double din for my 21st birthday. So of course I started ripping into the dash. I have seen many different ways to do the DD swap but I am not a big fan of the ones that delete the HVAC or little cubby. That cubby is too precious for me to get rid of haha

So I decided I am going to do what I have only ever seen once, and move the DD to the middle, the HVAC above and leave the cubby where it's at. Since my new HU has Bluetooth, a custom iPhone attachment, and all the fixings, I need the cubby to hold my phone/iPod or whatever I use.

I will edit this posting with the exact model and dimensions of the HU when I get a chance, but for now some pics.

You must be registered for see images attach

Got A LOT of trimming and modifying to do

It will be setup somewhat like this:

This is what the finished product SHOULD look like:

Ed_P

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
very cool. searching for 88-94 swaps now.

AirmanSkee

'MURICA... NUFF SAID
Reaction score
EDIT: Pic links are being fixed and relinked. You can click them now and see them.

Alright guys sorry I've slacked on this. Been too busy with the SAS coming up.

These are the pics I have over on my build thread. I have alot more if needed on my PB, I will just have to dig them up since I did this back in July.

First off, remove the bezel and all switches, buttons, etc. You will need to drop the tilt wheel and shift to 1 (if automatic). After its all out put it back in park and turn the truck back off.

This is what it looks like with everything removed (unplugged HVAC, slave CD player, and single din stereo).

This is the head unit I will be using. It is slightly more bulky than a standard DD but worked great.

I had cut the tabs off the HVAC because I was going to put the HVAC above the DD.

Started cutting plastic out. This is a long process, get GOOD cutting blades and a small dremel.

Started cutting the bezel

Unfortunately the HVAC duct is in the way for my head unit so I decided to put the HVAC back below the DD. I purchased TheDetailSS.com kit for 95-98 C/K. This kit is amazing and makes the hassle a LOT less.

All filled in and primered. Car show was coming up that weekend so I gave it a quick spray paint.

This still needed sanded and smoothed out for the whole bezel. Just a quick shot for the show.

I have gotten small decals made to replace all the controls so I can paint the HVAC and Headlights etc to match and then put back all the labels.

Last edited:

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Cool swap and thanks for the link to thedetailss.com! I'd love to get a DD in my '98

Old77

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm definitely going to put some thought and planning into it. I have a double din in my 07 burb and love it. It's good to know that the option is there on this as well! Also gives me a reason to put my Dremel to good use :D