Started on my cab corner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GT_80

Always Tinkerin'
Reaction score
MOnday I took the day off from work to start working on my trucks bodywork. I got the rusty cab corner cut off, cleaned up all around it, trimmed the new cab corner to fit, painted inside the rocker and cab area with heavy coats of rustoleum, then started stitching the new cab corner on. This is as far as I got so far with that:
You must be registered for see images attach

Then I started to work on my cap- I got all the windows masked off, and sanded it, then sprayed 4 cans of Krylon burgndy on it and I quickly realized the reson why I always gravitate back to Rustoleum paints- they are the only ones that cover well, and are glossy immediately.

This is after 2 coats of Krylon- and it has primer in it supposedly... I used 4 cans of krylon to do 2/3 of the cap

this is after one can, one coat of rustoleum... IT took 1 can to do 1/3 of the cap in 1 coat... BEST spray paint! It is Merlot gloss I used for the color- close to the truck, a little off, but good enough for now out of a spray can...

twomanymontes

car show addict
Reaction score
I remember replacing the cab corners on my truck. Had a hard time keeping them lined up when we welded them in place. Cap looks good, I really should paint mine, but it only goes on for the winter, so it doesn't matter

Rogue

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dumb question: how do you keep the cab corners in place while welding? I want to do mine at some point, but need to play with welding stuff before I actually do it for real haha. Probably won't get to it for a year or two...

magimerlin

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Green painters tape always worked great for me....

sent from what use to be a great country...

deadbeat

Centurion Crew Cab
Reaction score
Dumb question: how do you keep the cab corners in place while welding? I want to do mine at some point, but need to play with welding stuff before I actually do it for real haha. Probably won't get to it for a year or two...

Put a couple self cutters in, when you are done take them out and weld the hole up. Weld small tacks across the top then let cool and go back and slow weld the solid. Drill holes down the front and back to mimic the factory spot welds.

GT_80

Always Tinkerin'
Reaction score
I just held it with one hand, and stitched it till it stayed, then moved it as needed, and finished welding it. I learned to weld with stick welders so I figured a long time ago how to strategically place a small weld in an area that allows motion to twist it to the final position. I won't say I am a great welder, but only once did something break on me... And that was in my learning days when I welded spring perches on a rear end with a flux core mig... rear end twisted on acceleration, driveshaft angle went to flat, and it cost me a transmission. tail houusing broke off. I never did that again :D

GT_80

Always Tinkerin'
Reaction score
I got the cab corners all done, replaced the fuel pump and fuel lines, welded patches on the forward bed mount on the frame, welded extra supports on the forward leaf spring mount, painted the whole frame from the cab back, replaced the forward bed support as it was rotted out, replaced one support member that holds the spare tire from wiggling (front one, over the rear end), replaced both rear upper shock mounts, ground the rust off the bed rails that I didnt repair, and painted those, and put it all back together. Drives nice, has more power with the new fuel pump, and I like the look of the cap.

These were my old fuel lines:

And the new fuel pump and lines:

And the truck as it sits now: