Start then stall

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pappy G

Reaction score
No, O.P. says 2 weeks of driving before the issue began. Then wiring repair and multiple replacements of Ignition tumblers only to reinstall the OE tumblers.
So relearn the security first. No cost, just your time.

He did say TBI... L31 does have a throttle body, perhaps he merely lacks part name specificity?
Throttle position sensor not TBI.

Nad_Yvalhosert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ahh, so TPS? Those pesky abbreviations and getting their names correct. Who cares if you call them by some other names. I guess we all should be psychic and immediately know what you're referring to.

Did you use a scan tool to align/relearn the TPS? If it's not reading .5V at idle, 4.5 at WOT, the PCM is gonna have all sorts of problems: starting, staying running, shifting, cruise control,.. little things like that

Last edited:

dzynda

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Alternatively, get in touch with someone who has HPTuners and disable the Passlock system entirely in the PCM tune. Black Bear Performance and a few other companies can do this by mail.
Hp tuner as in hypertech? I'm having a passlock security issue on my 2000 k3500 obs because it sits for long periods and batteries go dead. Out of my 4 obs trucks this is the only one I seam to have this problem. I have a hypertech tuner on my 97 would that work? I'll also have to get a solar battery charger or something to keep the batteries charged up.

dzynda

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I tried the turn to on position wait 10 minutes off for 30 seconds like 5 times and it didn't work. This link has 3 different procedures and the turn on to start then release the key to the on position (basically let it die) leave it for 10 or 11 minutes unit the security light goes off (in my case) or stops flashing turn it off for 10 seconds then reattemp to start it. If it doesn't stay running let it die and sit in the on position again until the security light goes off or stops flashing.
This procedure worked on my obs 2000 k3500 7.4L hope this helps

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm having a passlock security issue on my 2000 k3500 obs because it sits for long periods and batteries go dead.
Define "long periods".

My Monte Carlo gets parked from November to April, or thereabouts. I expect the battery to be powerful enough to not have trouble after being dormant for 4--5--6 months.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Hp tuner as in hypertech? I

No, HPTuners is a full featured tuning software setup that runs on a laptop.

https://www.hptuners.com/

EDIT - And to clarify, no. A HyperTech tuner will not do anything to disable Passlock. You need a more capable software package like HPTuners, EFILive or JET DST to perform operations like that.

Last edited:

dzynda

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
No, HPTuners is a full featured tuning software setup that runs on a laptop.

https://www.hptuners.com/

EDIT - And to clarify, no. A HyperTech tuner will not do anything to disable Passlock. You need a more capable software package like HPTuners, EFILive or JET DST to perform operations like that.
OK thank you, I figured not. I was torn between Jet and hypertech when I bought my first turner for my 97. I bought a hypertech and was happy with it. Sounds like HP or black bear performance would be the best? I do not have any tuning knowledge.