stalls when she's warmed up....frustrated!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

thumpr

Reaction score
Well, im pulling my hair out...or going grey over this stalling issue im having since ive swapped out to a lower mileage 350/700r4(same as what it had). It did not have this issue in the donor truck, and my truck did not have it with the old drive train. The truck starts up great, but when its up to temp, and you put it in gear it stalls. If you start it up, and throw it in gear right from cold, it will not stall. You can overcome the problem by two footing it...it doesn't need much. It does not throw a code either (checked ALDL). If your driving, and slow to a stop, sometimes it will idle for a few seconds, but then still stall. Other than that it has great power, idles super in park, and drives like a new truck??? The only thing not stock is the headers, exhaust, throttle body spacer, and open element air filter. I have tried timing at anywhere from 0-4 degrees with no effect on the problem. I have changed plugs, wires, cap, rotor, coil, coolant temp sensor, egr, and solinoid, map sensor, changed to a heated 02 sensor, and checked, and re-checked for vacuum leaks. I am thinking maybe its the torque convertor lock up solenoid. Any ideas would help immensely, im so frustrated i could burn it down....:evillol:

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
had mine do it in gear, mine I guess was timing too far advanced, you need it at zero period.

how fast does it idle when warmed up? it needs checked, it could be the IAc or maybe TPS, but I think I had read this is caused by IAC or egr. Just because you changed it, doesn't matter, I hear ONLY a gm, ac delco or delphi units work well the rest can still cause problems. if you had all of your old stuff I would check everything one at a time by switching it from your old parts to your new motor and see if it fixes the problem.

thumpr

Reaction score
Ive tried timeing at zero, but got greedy and tried to see if i could get a couple degree's more... Nevertheless, it didn't make a difference. I forgot to mention, ive tried 3 different well functioning throttle body's with tps and iac intact, and that has not helped. The egr is an ac delco, and everything was done one at a time, very trying i might add.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
maybe you need to have the coil or the pickup col inside the dist. tested I heard other guys say they had them act up when warm, mostly the dist. pickup coil or the magnet ring, or just the shaft worn or something. I personally put a new one in mine and had that problem afterwards, not sure if mine quit or not, but backing down my timing helped alot, made it do it much less.

thumpr

Reaction score
Well, what do you know, must have been the pickup coil, or ignition module. I swapped another known working distributer in, and no more stalling...runs a bit better too. Thanks! Too bad i didn't try that first before changing EVERTHING else lol.