Squeaking Pulley

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DForce909

Reaction score
First Post,

I need some help figuring out where a squeak is coming from. I first noticed the squeak about two weeks ago, and it got worse and worse. I took a look and pulled the belt off and saw and by hand, moved the alternator. It was squeaking so I replaced it with a brand new on. However it did not stop the noise at all, in fact it was worse. So I changed the idler pulley as someone told me it was a common pulley that makes those squeaks. Also I should mention that the belt was replaced about two months ago as well. I took it to the shop where I normally get work done only to be told that the tensioner pulley is no good, so I got a new one and replaced it today. (I had already replaced it around two months ago in the summer) but it still squeaks. I was told to find an OEM Tensioner pulley but there are two problems, is the tensioner pulley the problem or is there something more? and if the tensioner pulley is the issue where would I find an OEM that is rigged and not smooth to fit my truck? Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

Truck: 1997 Chevy Silverado C1500 5.7L V8

RedLeader289

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
A couple things to try:

Turn the wheels to full lock in either direction - does it get worse?

If you goose the throttle - does it get worse?

A/C on and off - any difference?

If the answer to any of the above is yes then your belt might be SLIGHTLY too big, and over the course of the two months since you changed it it has stretched enough to cause a squeak.

Curt

Sometimes when I close my eyes, I can't see.
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum!

I would suggest replacing the belt and see if that fixes the issue.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coveman

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
gmt400s have some squeaky belt/pulleys, they seem to need replacing more often than most of my other vehicles. I've replaced belts that squeaked nearly right off the bat, either i got one that was sitting on the shelf too long or someone else returned, so the re-replacement did the trick. Just buy a ac delco replacement idler from amazon or the store of your choice.

tinfoil_hat

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Always a good idea to do the belt, idler, and tensioner assembly at the same time. If it's still squeaking maybe it's your water pump or one of the accessory pullies

mavbeacon

Reaction score
Ive ran into this problem as well. Parts store looked up belt and gave me correct belt per their computer, tried 2 different belts, still had squeek at start up, if a/c was on, ect. Looked the part number up on rockauto.com and it even said it was correct belt, but a little farther down the list was anpther part number that was 1" shorter, difference being which alternator you have.

DForce909

Reaction score
Thank you for all the suggestions, I ended up replacing the belt and sure enough that was the issue. Stopped the squeak right away.