Spyder headlamps.....my take on 'em...and LIGHTING in general

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
You are correct, I had a brain fart there. I'll go back and edit those posts. Thanks for the heads up, not sure why I mixed that up.

It's all good, just wanted to get it mentioned before it derails someone. There is at least one instance where someone has already methgineered a set of 4x6's in place of the H4701/H4703s on a GMT-400. It's bad.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
It's all good, just wanted to get it mentioned before it derails someone. There is at least one instance where someone has already methgineered a set of 4x6's in place of the H4701/H4703s on a GMT-400. It's bad.

:lol: I saw that on the FB group! It looked terrible. The worst part was he used the cheap flood style reflector LED 4"x6"s. Had to be incredibly blinding to traffic.

I think that's why I mixed up the sizes, it seems like people do that 20 times a day on FB and it was stuck in my head for some reason.

83GMCK2500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Western WA from Eastern WA, aka the wet side from
:lol: I saw that on the FB group! It looked terrible. The worst part was he used the cheap flood style reflector LED 4"x6"s. Had to be incredibly blinding to traffic.

I think that's why I mixed up the sizes, it seems like people do that 20 times a day on FB and it was stuck in my head for some reason.

You know the one I speak of...that was where I saw it too. *shudders*

Z71Hobbs

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

But it had some dot stamp on it! :wink:

Brother Al

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It's '88-'89 in GMT-400, and '89-91 in squarebody, but those fit in the core support and not on a bracket like GMT-400..

Fixed my post. My bad, thought they had carried on into 1990... alas, a fading memory is the bain of human existence.

E-Codes in the Quads? I imagine they gotta be almost unobtainium, kinda like those Brazillian and Aussie GMT400 headlights.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score

alpinecrick

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Another thing worth mentioning about those Anzo 211140s...

If you look closely at the pictures and compare them to the factory tails, you can see that the reverse light portion of the Anzo housings wraps all the way around the bottom of the lens instead of the little rectangular window on the factory housings. This makes the reverse lights much more effective by throwing light farther around the rear corners of the truck. You can see a lot better backing up at night if you're running some good bulbs.

That clinches it. I was debating about polishing my OEM taillights or buy some new ones--I think I'll order that set of Anzos.

deejaaa

Became Less Of A Human 5-13-18
Reaction score
McGuires makes a headlight coating that's sprayed on composites. it will last a year between coats and headlights will last years longer.
i've run composites, quads and now W/T LED's, in the last 11 years. the W/T LED setup right now is light years ahead of the others. only 99.99.

88GMCtruck

I'm all 8-Luggy!
Reaction score
Auburn, Wa: From Covington, Wa: Albion, Wa: Pullma
Fixed my post. My bad, thought they had carried on into 1990... alas, a fading memory is the bain of human existence.

E-Codes in the Quads? I imagine they gotta be almost unobtainium, kinda like those Brazillian and Aussie GMT400 headlights.

Yeah, they're pretty impossible to get at this point. @88GMCtruck has a really nice thread on them, here's a link.

https://www.gmt400.com/threads/tech...eam-upgrades-bosch-t84-e-code-headlights.946/

The bosch E-code T84 headlights that fit in place of the H4701/H4703 that 88-89 trucks came with are nothing short of amazing. Probably the best pick out of all the options these trucks can have for lighting short of a full proper HID Projector retrofit with real DS2 bulbs.

I have a set in my 88, and probably 6-7 additional pairs stashed away for a rainy day... they are impossible to find now and i've had these sets for quite a few years now when i was able to find them available.

For the 88-89 lights, the LMC set that uses a 9006/9005 setup is a good bet as well; quality made, glass lens and many bulb options. They have a decent pattern too.

As far as composites, the TYC elegante headlights (also impossible to find now that they are also discontinued) are quite nice as well, and play well with drop in conversion HIDs. One of the knock-off styles I've found on ebay has a good pattern and similar bulb shield, but they have a really crappy bracket & adjuster that I modified with OEM parts to make a decent light for.

98chevy2500SS

Specializes in Accessories 101
Reaction score
I'm partial to the Anzo Clear 211140 with LED bulbs. I did that to my '92 Z71 and they are VERY BRIGHT, and when I shift to "Reverse", they light up everything pretty decently behind me. They have held up very well over time, with no moisture or fading. They've certainly held up better than my Spyder Composite headlights. I know a lot of guys like the smoked look but they simply aren't as bright and in most cases, not legal in many states.

Anzo USA 211140 Cadillac/Chevrolet/GMC Red/Clear G5 Tail Light Assembly - (Sold in Pairs) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038BBHNM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_1JnRCb9XB6DZ3
The legality of them is what I am worried about as well, Iowa cops seem to be pretty laid back here though. Some of the reviews have said that they are pretty bright, for being smoked. I did buy some tinted tail lights a few months ago, looked good, but the reflector design for the LEDs were matte black, not chrome like the ones I am looking. Plus, they felt cheap and didn't fit that good.

I bought those same tail lights that you linked (they were SPPC, exactly the same as the Anzo's, but just cheaper) and put LED bulbs in them, and they looked good, but the actual LED versions, I found, were a little better.

Last edited: