Speedometer off off by 7 mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you know it's 7 MPH off, why don't you put it up on jack stands, set cruise at whatever speed, remove the needle and put it back on 7 MPH less/more to get it right? No muss, no fuss, no wrecks :waytogo:

stutaeng

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My 2000 K3500 5.7 is off 7 MPH @ 70 MPH too. I need to drive such that cluster reads 77 MPH to actually be going at 70 MPH. I know it's the cluster because if I hook up a scanner, it shows the correct speed compared to my phone's GPS (within 1-2 mph).

I hardly drive that truck now...I think I will try the speedometer re-alignment per comments here. ;)

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
If you know it's 7 MPH off, why don't you put it up on jack stands, set cruise at whatever speed, remove the needle and put it back on 7 MPH less/more to get it right? No muss, no fuss, no wrecks :waytogo:
But...But...with my method, I got to feel kinda self-congratulatory about just being stubborn enough to overcome the dilemma.
"No. Really. I can do this. Get outa my way. Here. Hold my beer."
On the edge of danger & beating the odds. Once again. Ha!
Endeavour to persevere. :33:

Reaction score
Exactly how I did mine. At night. Gauge lights on bright made seeing the pin easier.
I used a Heads Up Display app. @ 50 mph. The straight up position for the needle on the gauge face.
Cruise control makes it pretty easy.
My '97 didn't have that. Trying to get the needle onto the pin, maintain the exact speed, watch where I'm going, while having to practically eat the wheel while reaching around it & down into the pod at the same time was a bit of a PitA. Took 2 or 3 times to get it reading exactly right.
Straight smooth road. Trying to stab the needle onto that little tiny pin is hard enough as it is without bumps & dips & corners thrown in.
Used a mechanic's tach/dwell meter to set the tach needle while a bud under the hood held the engine @ 2000rpm.
For the other 4, before I took them off, took a pic while the truck was running & warm.
Out of all 6, the only needle that sat low-ish was the oil pressure. Out by a notch.

You must be registered for see images attach
Where can I get a set of needles like yours??