Speedo cuts out...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

35olds

Reaction score
during a drive, the speedo will just stop working. It's a bit like someone pulled out a pin and the display would just sea-saw down until it totally disappeared. (i don't know why this type of cluster is called, but instead of dials it has these graphs that would show the temp or fuel or speed.
You must be registered for see images attach

so question number one is... what could cause the gauge to just drop out? It works again when I stop and restart the truck.
I don't think it's the sensor , as a sensor would usually just stop entirely. Also I took it out and cleaned it. It looks to be alright.
I think it's the gauge itself. But what causes it and how to remedy the situation?
question number two is. Can I replace the cluster for a later model that has actual dials with a pointer?
Like the one below? is it a straight swap , if possible?

I posted the exact same thing as this post , a couple years ago . My speedo would just stop working then just as suddenly would come back on . I could take the flat of my hand and bang the dash top and make it come back on . If it would not come back on the check brake light would start flashing , then the check engine light would come on . I get them off by pulling the wire harness off the master cylinder ,this would work until the speedo quit working again . I pulled the dash apart one day to find a ground problem , that someone said was the problem . It's all solid state . Try and find a ground ,B.S. . I kept searching online and found a mechanics site on youtube . All the problems I was having were due to the Speedo Sencor in the transmission . I bought a new one and , so far , the problem has went away . Thanks , Bob

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
sounds like a winner then... I gotta get a speed sensor. thx @35olds

I doubt you need a sending unit, those either work or they don't. Your original cluster (if you want to save it) probably does have a ground issue within the board.

@DerekTheGreat that 1990.5 dash , does it look the same as the moon circle cluster, but with dials? I think I saw one at the local parts guy.

It looks almost identical to the 1991-1994 clusters with needles. They're easy-ish to spot while in the truck if you remove the dash bezel and look at the edge of the cluster itself, you'll see the edge of it is a tealish blue much like your moonie cluster. If you remove one of the unicorn clusters you'll also see that the back of them is identical to the moonie cluster in that it's got the metal cover and that it accepts the same connector as the moonie cluster.

Some assembly is required to make it work in a truck equipped with moonies; you need to run a wire for the tach signal and move two or three existing wires over in the connector. That is provided the cluster is set up for your gear ratio & tire size.

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey Guy, You're in a public place, watch what you say to people, Hooah?
I am the one who started this thread. So if you have a question regarding an entirely different year, You might want to start your own.

Maybe you should re-read your original post. YOU specifically asked "Can I replace the cluster for a later model that has actual dials with a pointer?" Responding to a direct question from the OP does not classify as a thread jack.

The answer is yes, the unicorn 90.5 gauge cluster is not the only one. "you" can run a later model gauge cluster (92-94) but it will require a DRAC module. I may have posted as a question, but the answer is yes.

Yes, it is a public place, but if you act like a dick when someone is trying to help you, then why are you surprised by being called out? I was literally trying to help you.

So what's with the Hooah? I'm assuming military. I would have thought you would have thicker skin to be offended.

The main point I was trying to make is that once you get the answer you are looking for, this thread will mean nothing to you, you'll never go back and re-read it. On the other hand the reason a forum is better than a facebook group is that there is a history. Someone or maybe even many people will go searching for an answer and may come across this thread and be able to answer their question without having to start a new thread. This is a knowledge base for more than just you.

35olds

Reaction score
during a drive, the speedo will just stop working. It's a bit like someone pulled out a pin and the display would just sea-saw down until it totally disappeared. (i don't know why this type of cluster is called, but instead of dials it has these graphs that would show the temp or fuel or speed.

so question number one is... what could cause the gauge to just drop out? It works again when I stop and restart the truck.
I don't think it's the sensor , as a sensor would usually just stop entirely. Also I took it out and cleaned it. It looks to be alright.
I think it's the gauge itself. But what causes it and how to remedy the situation?
question number two is. Can I replace the cluster for a later model that has actual dials with a pointer?
Like the one below? is it a straight swap , if possible?

My 88 Chevy would do this . I looked all over the net and found a solution on youtube.I bought and installed a new speed sensor and that fixed the issue . It has not cut out on me yet . Bob