Speedo cuts out...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1989k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
during a drive, the speedo will just stop working. It's a bit like someone pulled out a pin and the display would just sea-saw down until it totally disappeared. (i don't know why this type of cluster is called, but instead of dials it has these graphs that would show the temp or fuel or speed.
You must be registered for see images attach

so question number one is... what could cause the gauge to just drop out? It works again when I stop and restart the truck.
I don't think it's the sensor , as a sensor would usually just stop entirely. Also I took it out and cleaned it. It looks to be alright.
I think it's the gauge itself. But what causes it and how to remedy the situation?
question number two is. Can I replace the cluster for a later model that has actual dials with a pointer?
Like the one below? is it a straight swap , if possible?

Last edited:

1989k2500

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When the Speedo cuts out, does anything else happen? Like does it drop to first or second gear and not go higher?
I have a manual transmission, so nothing really happens but the speedo dropping. I noticed that after a while the check engine soon light would come on. (probably as the ecu detects no speed. Another thing I noticed is that the speedometer graph would spin 3 to 4 times pretty fast, when I turn the key.
Maybe it's a faulty cluster? in that event Can I replace it with one from a later model that has dials instead those moons?

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Mark Gilbert

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
What might be happening is the DRAC module also known as a VSSB module could be going bad.

The speed sensor on the transmission sends the signal to the DRAC and then that translates it (there are jumpers on it that can be manipulated to to account for tire size and gear ratio) and sends a signal to the PCM and the gauge cluster.

http://www.gearhead-efi.com/Fuel-Injection/showthread.php?1734-VSSB-module-pinout

That will have the pinout for the DRAC/VSSB

That should also be the pinout for your PCM

The Permanent magnet generator in the drawing is your spped sensor in the transmission

EDIT:

I did a little more reading and had forgotten that some of the clusters had the DRAC as part of the speedo cluster instead of a separate component... So this might be useless info for you

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
If you hook a scan tool to the OBD-I port you can see if the speed signal is reaching the ECM when the drop out happens, and see if that code corresponds to that. The signal goes from the sender to the cluster, then the ECM. If you find out the cluster is bad, you can try swapping a different one in from a junkyard to see if that fixes it.

You can convert to the needle style gauges but you need the 1990.5 specific cluster to do it. What is special about it is that it retains the same harness as the moonie cluster and also has an internal DRAC module. They're pretty spendy and hard to look up via Ebay. I snatch them up whenever I find them in yards. If I had two, I'd offer you one.