Southern Pride's Official Build Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
I honestly wanna say that I bought one of the meguiars back to black boxes but I could be mistaken. Did you clay bar the truck? If you don't clay bar then you hit it with the buffer it's not gonna do anything but rub the little things in and scratch the paint and put more swirls.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I honestly wanna say that I bought one of the meguiars back to black boxes but I could be mistaken. Did you clay bar the truck? If you don't clay bar then you hit it with the buffer it's not gonna do anything but rub the little things in and scratch the paint and put more swirls.

I did not claybar the truck I just wanted to put some product on today cuz I watched a bunch of videos about it and the before/after was amazing. They didn't use the claybar before so I didn't think much of it until a while ago...It came out pretty good for a couple hours work but I am more interested in moving to the next step with a full 8 hour "paint correction" if you will. Tell me what you think will need to be done we can get a little list going. I'm also unsure of the order that products need to go. I do know
1. Wash
2. Claybar
3. and from here I'd like to know what I should do each step to get it back to perfection.

I've been meaning to buy a buffer/polisher for so long. I was scared to get the one like I have because guys said they were bad and to only get the porter cable things but I went ahead and got this one so now I'm ready to bring this freaking paint back to life. Also, do you think I should mess with the Pass side ex cab and bed at all that's been painted recently? It looks pretty good so my idea was to renew all the paint from 95 to look as good or better than the newer painted parts. Let me know what ya think bro.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
I will sit down and try and gather all my knowledge on the subject later and type it up but right now I am going between this and some sas researching.

ive never personally liked buffers at all, i prefer sweat from your forehead, arm hurting, hand covered in polish method. it always seems to turn out better

You will never get the same results as a buffer from hand polishing it is just impossible.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ive never personally liked buffers at all, i prefer sweat from your forehead, arm hurting, hand covered in polish method. it always seems to turn out better

I will sit down and try and gather all my knowledge on the subject later and type it up but right now I am going between this and some sas researching.

You will never get the same results as a buffer from hand polishing it is just impossible.

LoL I used to like to believe that the good old fashioned hand waxing was better just cuz I didn't want to buy a buffer, but it isn't. For the sake of the finished product or breaking my back. The buffer was just simply amazing today. I've hand waxed my truck a handful of times and nothing came close to how well the buffer worked things today.

Dirty I appreciate you doing that later. I get it your busy with the SAS stuff so concentrate on that! Just don't forget about me later! It's not like I'm trying to do it tonight or tomorrow but in the near future I want to spend an entire day getting this paint back wanging. The main reason I wanted to paint my truck though is so I can remove my molding and emblems and Z71 stickers but now I'm thinking I could just get my paint back looking new and remove my moldings and proffesionally paint from the rockers down and get rid of my rattle can job and gloss them up but blending it all will be quite a challenge. Anyway, for now let's concentrate on the steps to get my paint back! Thanks brosif.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Dirty I remember seeing that "BLACK" series box at autozone. If I got that, do you think it would include everything I need for an 8 hour detail?

I just need a list of the steps to take along with the products I know I need to wash, clay bar, then compound and I'm unsure if I need actual swirl remover or just a good polish, and I don't know how many times I need to do certain steps but if you are anyone else can give me a list to keep me busy for 8 hours that would be tittys.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
A good compound should help get rid of the swirls and then a lot of the professional detailers that do paint correction use like 3 different types of wax to get it nice and wet looking.

Southern Pride

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well that's the thing I used compound on it today to get rid of the swirls but they're clearly still there. It just looks and feels wayyyy better but they're still there. I didn't use my polish that I have but I'm just confused about the products and the order of doing all this. I want to do what you did a full 8 hour detail but I don't know what to do. Alot of these youtube video's are a joke too. Everyone says the same stuff but I can't find a list anywhere that'll keep me busy all day.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
All I did was wash, clay, compound, wax, polish. Doesn't sound like much but I spent at least an hour on my hood alone. There is a lot of detail to get the whole process.

dirtyhick42

I am not a chick
Reaction score
I don't really have a before and after besides my whole truck looked like this before.
You must be registered for see images attach

And this was about 2 weeks after the major detail

You must be registered for see images attach