south texas recommendations

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tfr1990

Reaction score
Hey folks...I am looking for some recommendations for a honest transmission builder for a 4l60 somewhere in south texas. I live close to Victoria so a run to Houston would not be a problem. This is for a 1994 z71 that would see mild use most of the time and possibly some towing a couple times a year. Any recommendatios would be great. Just one of those projects that needs to get done.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Not exactly next door but I don't know anybody down by Victoria...there's a shop in Tomball if you ever have reason to head to the Houston area, this guy is the absolute best - I've had his shop building transmissions for me since my second car way back in the 80's. Premier Transmission in Tomball TX 281-290-0303 one of the only truly honest people I know in the business. Top notch work without the gold-plated price.

Lemme think about it. He built a TH400 for my '69 Chevelle, 4L60E for my '95 Impala SS, 700R4 for my '92 C1500, NV4500 for my '94 3500HD, NV4500 for my '95 3500HD, 4L60E for my '94 C2500LD, and did some valve body work on the 4L65E in my '06 Silverado SS. There may have been others he did for me that I've forgotten by now. ;)

Richard

tfr1990

Reaction score
Thanks Richard. I have been looking for someone that I can feel comfortable with putting parts in that I ask for. I was going to take a stab at it myself but the cost of the tools plus the parts would have made the whole project a looser on the financial war front. I plan to look up the shop and give him a call to see what we can come up with. I have been reading up on these transmissions for about a year now and have a pretty good idea on what I would like to do.
Better sun shell and possibly the 5 gear planetary set up along with the other up grades on the servo and solenoids.
If anyone has other suggestions I would be interested in hearing anything out there.
Thanks again Richard.

BoxerPitMix

Chris
Reaction score
Not exactly next door but I don't know anybody down by Victoria...there's a shop in Tomball if you ever have reason to head to the Houston area, this guy is the absolute best - I've had his shop building transmissions for me since my second car way back in the 80's. Premier Transmission in Tomball TX 281-290-0303 one of the only truly honest people I know in the business. Top notch work without the gold-plated price.

Lemme think about it. He built a TH400 for my '69 Chevelle, 4L60E for my '95 Impala SS, 700R4 for my '92 C1500, NV4500 for my '94 3500HD, NV4500 for my '95 3500HD, 4L60E for my '94 C2500LD, and did some valve body work on the 4L65E in my '06 Silverado SS. There may have been others he did for me that I've forgotten by now. ;)

Richard

That's the place right off Main St. next to HEB right? That's just up the road from my work. I have also heard really good things about that place.

tfr1990

Reaction score
Just got off work and called the shop and it sounds like a pretty good deal. All new guts and replacements on the week parts for $1200. Sounds to me like the next best thing would be a new one from gm. Considering all the different prices I have gotten for mail order stuff that someone always has had a bad experience with I think this would be just a better way to go. Looks like I will be making a trip to Tomball in the next few weeks. I'll be sure to post how everything went and how the transmission does.
Thanks again fellas!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
That's the place right off Main St. next to HEB right? That's just up the road from my work. I have also heard really good things about that place.
Yep, on Alma street. He's had that location for quite a while now, moved there from the Heights a long time ago.

Just got off work and called the shop and it sounds like a pretty good deal. All new guts and replacements on the week parts for $1200. Sounds to me like the next best thing would be a new one from gm. Considering all the different prices I have gotten for mail order stuff that someone always has had a bad experience with I think this would be just a better way to go. Looks like I will be making a trip to Tomball in the next few weeks. I'll be sure to post how everything went and how the transmission does.
Thanks again fellas!
Ya know, that's been his general price point on 700R4/4L60E work for more than a few years; I'm surprised it hasn't gone up over time as expenses go up too.

Be sure to let Joe know Richard recommended him. I don't get a dime out of it, but I like for my trusted friends to know when I'm sending work their way. :)

Richard

tfr1990

Reaction score
You bet...I think it's important to let a shop know when a customer is happy with the service they received. I feel like that is what keeps a good shop motivated to maintain their ethics and good practices. I try and do the same thing with anything I repair. Just finished redoing a set of heads on a truck i sold as is. This after a couple of weeks chasing down a fuel delivery problem. Figure between parts and labor the guy ended up just about getting that truck for free....but if my name is on it i want it to be as right as it can be

beardeddummy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks again fellas!

Gm doesn't build a good trans. I love my chevy but from experience i can say that GM built the transmission industry. We do more gm transmission in 2 months than we will all the others all year