Sounds like air brakes on a 18-wheeler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

98_k1500

strange noises are normal
Reaction score
My 2500 (14b FF axle) is developing some brake noise different than any automobile i have ever heard. Its coming from the rear passenger drum. It sounds exactly like the humming sound common to 18-wheelers when in town or slowly braking. Its not a squeal or screech, but more of a vibrating sound. Everyone that has ever heard a 18-wheeler (especially the brakes on the trailer) stop should know the sound i am talking about. My drums do not slip off, and i do not have the time to pull the axles and wheel bearings to investigate right now. I plan on doing a full brake rebuild this winter when work slows down some, with a NBS master cylinder swap, new booster (mine is shot) and new pads/shoes and hardware on the rear. I also plan on doing wheel seals at the same time. Anyone ever heard one do this?? Would you be worried?? Its been doing it about a week and a half now. It brakes perfectly normal at speed, but places like parking lots where the brakes are gently applied, i get the noise. The drums/rotors don't seem to be out of round, it brakes very smoothly, just makes the noise.