something to disolve rust?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
regualr brillo aint cutting it, anyone know something to disolve rust from chrome? maybe clr or soemthing? might try steel wool and wd40 or something along those lines.
Also anyone tried removing scratches from chrome? like normal rubbing compound do it or maybe scratch remover? I may try both anyways.

93Chevy_1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Tinfoil will take a rust streak or light rusrt spot right off. Just rub it on.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I bet tin foil does the same as a brillo pad then and it won't work, may try it anyways can't hurt.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
brillo pads are just like steel wool and they didn't work, but I do have never dull and I do have reg. 0000 steel wool, gonna have to try em.

canuckz71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
#0000 steel wool with glass cleaner will take off minor surface rust but the rust will come back and it wont take long

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
Only sure way is sanding it out, usually like 600-800 grit works, then work your way back up to 2000 and use some chrome polish, Or if you dont want it to come back you'll have to clear over it or just paint the bumper.

ricerocket1135

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I want to say I bought some chrome wheel cleaner from Autozone and it killed the brake dust and rust spots on my old truck. The stuff smelled acidic and it worked like a champ. In the past I always used super fine steel wool.

Swims350

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
0000 steel wool and glass cleaner worked some but not alot, and I'm trying oven cleaner now, gonna find some naval jelly and try it, also it aint on a bumper it's on a roll bar.