Somebody's knockin........

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I use and love my leveler. I bolt the front and back of both heads and everything sits safe and square. I wouldn't lift my Cadillac engine on full length, but it handles a SBC just fine..
This is a "real" engine hoist. Boom extended to longest length. The tip of the boom in the photo is higher than the garage door opening, which is 7 or 8 feet high. This is not as high as it will lift, it's just as high as needed to throw it on the trailer when I moved from the "old" house to the "new' house.

Cadillac 500, Turbo 425 transmission, front half of an ElDorado frame with torsion bars, springs and suspension, brakes, steering gear and linkage, and front tires.

You must be registered for see images attach

You must be registered for see images attach

For most of the stuff, engines and tool boxes and such, I unloaded the trailer at the other end with a shiity Communist-Chinese "2-ton" hoist that had the typical low lifting height, short boom, and cheap, flimsy construction. But there was just no way on Earth that crappy hoist would pick this up, never mind being confident it wouldn't collapse the hoist once lifted. We rolled it down the trailer ramps into my back-yard.

I did eventually replace the hydraulic cylinder with an air-over-hydraulic 8-ton long ram. Now it lifts by pushing a trigger on the compressed-air hose.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice, but that thing's a beast. Mine's much more compact, and it'll lift the Cad motors no problem with a slightly shorter arm. Then again, I put my Cad motor into a slammed Jaguar, not a lifted truck. I had room to use a leveler.

redfishsc

Tired of fixing lousy engineering.
Reaction score
Ok Gentleman we have a diagnosis and it's not pretty. Before I begin, let's just say that whomever owned it before the previous owner is the one who destroyed this motor with that damned stop-leak. Once the previous owner realized what was wrong with this truck he parked it and gave it to me 2 years ago. I caught hell trying to get all the stop-leak and block sealant out of the heater cores and radiator two years ago.

I ended up selling this truck to a friend last month who pulled the motor today.

Here's what he discovered

• #8 rod smoked because of all the coolant that had gotten into the oil abs probably a bunch of block sealant too.
  • Strange head gasket failure on #3, 5, and 7. The gasket was charred. Guess why?
  • Because water jackets plugged with block sealant.

I always suspected the water jackets could have been plugged based on the nasty crap I flushed out of the rad and heater core so I had done several flushes, but that clearly wasn't enough.

Either way, my friend will rebuild this thing but he's going to have to get it to a machine shop to check it out. Hopefully the block isn't cracked where it clearly had overheated.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I will never understand why people use that stuff. It's basically guaranteed to do more harm than good in the long run.

Thanks for posting the diagnosis.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I will never understand why people use that stuff. It's basically guaranteed to do more harm than good in the long run.
Gotta get to work today > might hurt my truck in the long run.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
GM put a coolant-system sealer tablet in all sorts of new engines.

ONE tablet doesn't destroy an engine.

How many tablets or cans of sealer did that engine get? Did they ever put in coolant, or just another can or three of sealer?

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Gotta get to work today > might hurt my truck in the long run.

Eh... I think I'd call a friend or a cab. If someone was absolutely broke and the vehicle in question was a $500 beater then I guess I could see it, but I couldn't do it to anything I own. I get what you're saying though.

Did they ever put in coolant, or just another can or three of sealer?

I would think you're probably right about the multiple cans, but who knows. Some of that head gasket repair in a bottle stuff comes in ridiculous 20oz+ sizes.