Slight knock?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybcr783

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hey y’all, 2000 Chevy c2500 5.7/4L80-E
166,000 miles. Slight knocking noise on startup, disappears after little bit, see attached vid.
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Kinda short video...
Is yours the year where people talk about the oil pickup o-ring/seal that can cause issues?
Maybe someone can chime in that knows.....

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No O-rings on the suction side of the oil system of a 5.7L. The O-rings are on the LS-series engines.

Knocking on startup of a 5.7 is often
1. Faulty oil filter anti-drainback valve. Need an oil filter that has an anti-drainback valve, or one that has a WORKING anti-drainback valve. Some filters "have" an anti-drainback valve, but they're poorly made from inferior materials, and they don't actually seal.
2. Hydraulic lifters that bleed-down excessively.
3. Piston slap. GM says it's harmless. In mild cases, they're right.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
If it does it only on cold starts, doesn't do it on warm re-starts.. let's not forget the possibility of the good ol' cracked flexplate.

Richard

scott2093

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If it does it only on cold starts, doesn't do it on warm re-starts.. let's not forget the possibility of the good ol' cracked flexplate.

Richard
Are you saying that lifter bleed down or anti-drainback valve not working are only applicable to cold startup?
What would cause random tapping at startup, even warm, that goes away?

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If I had to guess, I would guess #3 in Schurkey's list. The 260k 5.7 in my Tahoe does it to and it won't die!

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Are you saying that lifter bleed down or anti-drainback valve not working are only applicable to cold startup?
What would cause random tapping at startup, even warm, that goes away?
Well, I wasn't addressing those situations - what I'm offering is another possible source for the knock. It's not exactly common, but not rare, either. If the symptoms match what I described it's worth looking into.

Richard

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sounded like an old,loose motor to me. ADV's will help get the oil up quicker but it's still an old motor with lots of run time. Go to a heavier oil. You're down here in my neck-o-the woods and it's about to start getting hot so I would recommend 20w-50 high zinc. How's your oil pressure?

tybcr783

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounded like an old,loose motor to me. ADV's will help get the oil up quicker but it's still an old motor with lots of run time. Go to a heavier oil. You're down here in my neck-o-the woods and it's about to start getting hot so I would recommend 20w-50 high zinc. How's your oil pressure?
My oil pressure on startup is great, usually like 60, but it fluctuates driving I’m probably at 38-41, whenever I’m stopped or idling it’s 20. I’m running factory setup 5w-30 Mobil one high mileage with a mobile one filter

tybcr783

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No O-rings on the suction side of the oil system of a 5.7L. The O-rings are on the LS-series engines.

Knocking on startup of a 5.7 is often
1. Faulty oil filter anti-drainback valve. Need an oil filter that has an anti-drainback valve, or one that has a WORKING anti-drainback valve. Some filters "have" an anti-drainback valve, but they're poorly made from inferior materials, and they don't actually seal.
2. Hydraulic lifters that bleed-down excessively.
3. Piston slap. GM says it's harmless. In mild cases, they're right.
1. I run a mobile 1 filter, do you know how decent those are ?
2. I’m not sure what you mean by bleed excessively
3. Saw that a couple times on the forum and it’s probably this case, there’s hasn’t been a negative effect on mpg or the oil loss. She does leak or burn a small bit of oil, usually have to put half a quart before every oil change at 5,000 miles