Size of speaker wire

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Well I think I am going to replace my speaker wire from the headunit back. What is the gauge of stock wiring? What gauge should I go with?

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
stock is around 20 i think, maybe 18

I pulled some 16 when I added new speakers and an amp.

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
Depends on what you want to spend. When I pull mine I am leaning towards 14 ga. Probably overkill though:shrug:

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Depends on what you want to spend. When I pull mine I am leaning towards 14 ga. Probably overkill though:shrug:

I don't think that that would be overkill. If you ever want to upgrade, then you don't have to rewire everything all over again.

Mean Green

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
14 AWG isn't overkill at all. I never install less then 14 gauge speaker wire on a audio install! And I never re-use factory wiring either, your speakers will get a bit more wattage to them with the upgraded wire as well.

JAW's

B/W Country & Amer. R&R
Reaction score
I don't think that that would be overkill. If you ever want to upgrade, then you don't have to rewire everything all over again.

14 AWG isn't overkill at all. I never install less then 14 gauge speaker wire on a audio install! And I never re-use factory wiring either, your speakers will get a bit more wattage to them with the upgraded wire as well.

Thanks guys these are things I was thinking of... now just to get it done lol

polar

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The speaker wire goes to the wiring harness and all I would have to do is take the the pin out of the connector and put the new wire in the pin.

ChrisAU

War Damn Eagle
Reaction score
Good luck getting 14 gauge in a wiring harness connector. Speaker wire like that is meant to be wired to an amp that gets its signals from a headunit via RCA cables.