Silencer Bypass mod.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rewind

STEPSIDES ROCK!!!!
Reaction score
Ok I did this mod after hearing folks on FSC talk about getting better sound and performance from having done it. I removed the silencer box and sealed the hole and removed the cover from my air filter box. I'm already running a Flowmaster exhaust. Well my experience after all of this is that it's :thumbsdown:

I haven't noticed any difference in the sound or performance of my truck.
Anyone else done this mod and noticed any changes?

What say you?

noremac

OHHH SNNNAAAPPP
Reaction score
it might be equivalent to like one horsepower.. pretty much you are removing a very small amount of restriction in the intake system.. you are best off just getting an aftermarket intake..

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i did it only because i wanted to see if it changed the sound of the exhaust

which it didnt

but i just took a mt dew can...cut it in half and used the bottom half and put a hose clamp on it really tight and put it on there

my opinoin it didnt do anything but now i can say i have a mt dew can under my hood

Greg

Über Mod
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I originally did it because the people on FSC talked about horsepower and throttle response gains. They even said to take off or cut a hole in the air filter cover for a 'warm air intake' which will give you better gas mileage.

BULL ****.

The only thing I notice is when I'm going down the road or going up a large hill on the highway with my windows closed I can hear that the silencer is not there.

Throttle Response: nothing added
Horsepower: nothing added

The only thing it does is make your intake look better.

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
well it might make the intake look better if you use something other than a mt dew can...at the time its all i had and i couldnt get the piece back on with the can in place like some people did so i just clamped it on there

i might get around to painting it black at some point

squeaky3

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
ya i went to big r where i worked but the cap i got was just a lil to small and i couldnt get it to go over the end of the intake....so i remembered someone on fsc said a pop can fit over it and then the put the stock piece back on....so i tried that and i got the can on but not the other piece so i just left the can on there and clamped it on