Shorty or Mid Length header options

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I wanted to see if anyone had any experience with mid length or shorty headers that they would recommend for a 350 small block. I had previously bought some full length headers off a co worker but when I went to install them yesterday the passenger side header wouldn’t clear at all due to it rubbing up against the frame of the truck. So instead I’m going to take that loss and just invest in some other headers. Any recommendations you all could give would be greatly appreciated

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's all kinds of options on Summit Racing or ebay. You'll have to decide how much you want to pay for painted, ceramic coated, or stainless steel. You can strip the painted ones and spray high temp stuff like VHT. I went with painted Summit Racing (made by Pace Setter) G9015, since I have the stupid A.I.R. system, and didn't bother coating them. I just put them on and burned the paint off while breaking in my cam (still no rust since I'm in AZ). They bolted right up to the OE "Y" pipe which I later swapped out for the JBA stainless mandrel bent pipe which is way less restrictive. HTH

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-g9015

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The engine that’s in there isn’t from the truck originally so I’m not sure what the AIR system is that you’re referring too, I work near summit so I’ll be buying mine from there.
Here’s the ones I was looking at, I also am using them to break in my cam so I hope they clear

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/big-11504flt

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I’m not sure what the AIR system is that you’re referring too
It's an emissions thing required in CA, among other states. Federal standards didn't require it. Stands for Air Injection Regeneration (or something like that). The pump is on the passenger side of the motor just under the A/C compressor. What it does is inject outside air into the exhaust to help the old pellet style cat fire off quicker when cold. Here's a pic of what it looks like on the driver's side header, the other side header is the same.

You must be registered for see images attach

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here's a pic of my passenger side with the A/C compressor removed. The A.I.R. pump is down low, under the idler pulley, and has that valve with the vacuum line going to it. The little blue air filter is for its intake since I removed the OE filter cannister. You can see the discharge pipe going towards the back of the block where it splits and feeds both of the headers.

You must be registered for see images attach

Joaquin P

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Oh okay I see what you’re referring too, yeah mine doesn’t have that so I think I’ll be okay. Here in Texas since the truck is older than 25 years all they do on it is a safety inspection so I don’t think I’ll be needing that
Your motor looks sick btw I dig the valve covers

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oh okay I see what you’re referring too, yeah mine doesn’t have that so I think I’ll be okay. Here in Texas since the truck is older than 25 years all they do on it is a safety inspection so I don’t think I’ll be needing that
Your motor looks sick btw I dig the valve covers

Most places still require a visual inspection on smog controls.