Short throw shifter for 92 gmc

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Rumorz1

Reaction score
Anyone know where I can get one or possibly have one sitting around. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I'm assuming manual trans, but which one? NV3500?

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A short shifter is an easy DIY.

Method 1: The stub of the shifter that goes in the transmission is threaded, and you can simply weld a nut in the bottom of some tubing, bend how you like, and chop a bolt to fit in the top of the tubing for your shift knob. You only consideration is that the stub of the shifter has a couple inches of length above the threads that you have to have open inside your tubing.

Method 2: The actual factory shifter that bolts onto the stub has an inner piece, a rubber bushing, and the outer piece. I don't know if it works on our trucks, but on first gen RX-7s you remove the knob, heat the shifter with a torch until the rubber starts melting, and pull the inner piece out. You then use a die to cut new threads on the top of the inner piece and mount the knob to that.

Method 3: Use the wallet wrench. https://core-shifters.com/collections/shifters-for-silverado

Rumorz1

Reaction score
A short shifter is an easy DIY.

Method 1: The stub of the shifter that goes in the transmission is threaded, and you can simply weld a nut in the bottom of some tubing, bend how you like, and chop a bolt to fit in the top of the tubing for your shift knob. You only consideration is that the stub of the shifter has a couple inches of length above the threads that you have to have open inside your tubing.

Method 2: The actual factory shifter that bolts onto the stub has an inner piece, a rubber bushing, and the outer piece. I don't know if it works on our trucks, but on first gen RX-7s you remove the knob, heat the shifter with a torch until the rubber starts melting, and pull the inner piece out. You then use a die to cut new threads on the top of the inner piece and mount the knob to that.

Method 3: Use the wallet wrench. https://core-shifters.com/collections/shifters-for-silverado
Problem is they are sold out.

F4U-1A

Early spring 24
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would prefer a lighter clutch now for my 5.7, I am not in my 30s anymore when I ordered the Chev. They call it a slave clutch but I am the slave. How heavy was it prior to 96. LOL