Shop Heat

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

munrom77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I have a smaller two car garage right now that I work out of I have a 240 heater trying to keep it warm in there during the winter but it's expensive to keep running what other ways are you guys heating your shops with, if I had room id go to a wood stove but not enough room right now

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

kennythewelder

Officially Retired, B31-3 (6-G) certified welder.
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Here in south Louisiana, it doesn't get near as cold here as it does there, and then when it does get cold, it only last a few days, but we have 2 large gas space heaters. 1 store bought, and 1 that I built from a hot water tank burner. Our shop is metal , and has no insulation. We put both of them on wheels, and used an air hose to plumb them in. This works very well. You can roll them around the shop, and hey are about 3 feet tall, and about as big around as a tire.

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They are similar to this. I just put them on a metal cart with wheels.
You must be registered for see images attach

GarrettGmc

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
My work shop we use store bought heaters an run diesel but doesn't do much when we have to keep the 2 14' doors open and at home I've got nothing, I've built a small wood stove from a old propane tank and used old exhaust as the piping but then realized I dnt have a good spot to put it. Biggest problem trying to heat garages is most arent insulated and the actual doors themselves let alot of cold in. I'd buy some weather stripping and try to close off as much as you can around the doors

kennythewelder

Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
My work shop we use store bought heaters an run diesel but doesn't do much when we have to keep the 2 14' doors open and at home I've got nothing, I've built a small wood stove from a old propane tank and used old exhaust as the piping but then realized I dnt have a good spot to put it. Biggest problem trying to heat garages is most arent insulated and the actual doors themselves let alot of cold in. I'd buy some weather stripping and try to close off as much as you can around the doors
Oh yea. The welding side alone is about 100 feet by 200 feet maybe, IDK. It has 2 big steel doors. You can drive an 18 wheeler through the shop, no problem, we have done just that a few times. Once you open the doors, you loose all of the heat. But some heat is better then no at all. The diesel heaters dont do much to help. These big space heaters are a lot better.

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Insulate it and put in a radiant tube heater or a Modine Hot Dog type heater. I had radiant in the shop at my old house, loved it the floor was always warm. I am finishing out an existing building into a shop at the new house, not enough height for a radiant tube so I will be using the hot dog type. I have a Goff's curtain wall I might use to reduce the area I have to heat.
You will never regret having a place to work without a coat and gloves.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
I have a 20,000 BTU convection kerosene heater that I use sometimes... I don't usually spend much time out there in the winter. A couple of winters ago, I actually had it next to the truck with me, while doing a water pump. I'd warm up my wrenches on it... just don't leave them on too long!

munrom77

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The garage is fully insulated and he insulated doors on it, just the older gentleman that lived here only parked his vehicles in the garage for the winter and went south so was never worried about heat, so now that I have the house and have been working on my own stepside project and working on some customer stuff i would like a better source of heat. From what I have been reading I might just make a wood stove out of a barrel and make a u shape out of an exhaust pipe and hang it inside the barrel and run piping to the garage add vent fans and draw in the heat source that way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TechNova

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I forgot to mention that I use a programmable thermostat and can have the shop warm by the time I get home from work.
I would get a WIFI thermostat but I don't have a smartphone.

I am heating with wood in the shop now, temporarily. It sucks. I have burned wood in the house for many years but it is easier because I keep the fire going and never start from cold.