Serpentine belt problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Roadie

Reaction score
I replaced my serpentine belt with a new gates belt. The new belt immediately started a clanking type sound. Researched a bit and decided to replace the tensioner and also the idler pulley. Put belt back on and the noise is still there. Odd thing is, I put the old belt back on and the clanking goes away. What’s my next step? I’m out of ideas. Thanks for any insight.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I replaced my serpentine belt with a new gates belt. The new belt immediately started a clanking type sound. Researched a bit and decided to replace the tensioner and also the idler pulley. Put belt back on and the noise is still there. Odd thing is, I put the old belt back on and the clanking goes away. What’s my next step? I’m out of ideas. Thanks for any insight.
The new belt is putting a load on something the old belt let slip.
It isnt the belt, it is whatever that belt is driving.
The new belt has much less slack and even if the pulleys are mis aligned it will track pretty straight and true for a short time.
Its not the belt.
Its the brand new belt putting a load on a component that was that was on the verge of failing with the old belt

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
The belt might be too long. Last time I bought one I found that there are quite a few different lengths and the various manufacturers dont measure them the same way.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Clacking you say? There's a couple different things it can be, as mentioned above, it's most likely a component driven by the belt. Clacking leads me to believe it's the harmonic balancer. Check the tension pulley, is it moving at all while the engine is running? if not, great, it's probably something else. If it's moving back and forth like a jackhammer, it's likely the harmonic balancer unless one of the other pulleys is visibly warped and causing it. If that's not it there's a few different ways to tell which part it is, I recommend shutting the engine off and checking each component for play at the pulley, if I were going by other posts on the site, I'd check the a/c compressor first, then the power steering pump, with the water pump and harmonic balancer being last. Somebody else here likely knows a bit more about the construction of the harmonic balancers on these trucks, but if it's anything like the one on my 08 Dodge Caliber, should be a big steel pulley in 2 parts connected by a rubber or silicone ring. That ring tends to Crack and break when they fail, so check that the ring is in good shape, and the outer piece hasn't started walking away from the inner piece.

Once you've found the culprit, for any component except the harmonic balancer, you can confirm by spraying lubricant directly at the bearing to the component, the noise should stop momentarily and return a moment or two later. Take it easy with the spray, if you get enough on the belt, it'll slip over the failing component and misdiagnose the problem, that's why I recommend doing it last for confirmation.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk

Reaction score
I recently replaced my Serpentine belt and from all research I could find I had the wrong idler pulley installed. I noticed the new belt seemed too short and began researching images and manuals. There seems to be a lot of with to without AC configs. I bought a new gates idler pulley that runs the belt on the inside vs outside edge looking at engine. Everything has been running smooth since. Hope this may help

Roadie

Reaction score
I have checked all other components except for the crank pulley and balancer. All seems well with the alternator, a/c compressor, and power steering. I could not feel any roughness or looseness whiles turning by hand. I’ll check the crank pulley tomorrow. I need to get this thing going. I just painted the truck and redid the interior and now all this is going on. It’s really frustrating! Thanks for all the help and suggestions.

RawbDidIt

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Pull the belt, should see signs of belt slippage on the pulley where it rubbed the anodizing off. You should also hear it get better if you spray the bearing with some lubricant. Don't use WD40, or you may cause failure in a bearing that hasn't failed yet.

Sent from my SM-N976V using Tapatalk