serpentine belt noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

77Concours

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I do not appreciate the dancing dino on your signature.... He's OK but the quote is infantile and offensive. I have a higher regard for my mother, wife and daughters than that.

I know, getting money is so hard these days.

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Do not use belt dressing on a serpentine belt! When mine was making noise for two months it was my water pump.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Do not use belt dressing on a serpentine belt! When mine was making noise for two months it was my water pump.

That's what your's ended up being?!?!? Your's sounded just like a squeaky belt right?

1997chevydriver

OBS MAGIC!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes just a squeaky old belt. I was chasing the noise for a couple months then the pump started leaking

JParker2012

Freedom isn't FREE
Reaction score
I do not appreciate the dancing dino on your signature.... He's OK but the quote is infantile and offensive. I have a higher regard for my mother, wife and daughters than that.

Not trying to be a jerk man, but that's part of freedom of speech. If you have a problem with that take it up with your state senator. :rofl:

great white

Retirement countdown!
Reaction score
Belt dressing is a band aid solution. About the same as tossing a can of "Restore" in an engine and hoping it will last another 100,000.

These trucks have a self tensioning serpentine belt system. If it's "squealing" something is wrong.

You can have a pulley or rotating component going south (causes the belt to squeal from being dragged over it) your belt can be old and glazed or stretched (ie: time to replace) or perhaps the tensioner is not doing its job anymore.

Find the cause and fix it, don't just treat the symptom.

That will eventually bite you in the butt....

bluex

Mall Crawlin' ****!!!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Belt dressing gets in the pulleys an ruins a new belt to, that is after you find what was really squeaking in the first place....

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
Lol belt dressing won't hurt anything. If the squeak stops when you apply some dressing then you know its your belt. Just use common sense.

That is NOT true. Put belt dressing on my belt, replaced my belt twice since then, still squeaks.