Seedometer Issues.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Nyborg

Reaction score
I have a 1988 Chevy Silverado Regular cab and I got stopped by law enforcement today, for going 85 in a 75mph zone, when my speedometer said I was going 80(what I ussually do on this freeway). I now know why everybody was going at snail speed, when i have been speeding this whole time. I was thinking maybe it was the tires i have on there that are about 8 inches bigger than the stock tires? Any solutions on how I can adjust/fix the speedometer?

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
Yes it is the tires. Anytime you change tire size or gears it will throw your speedometer off. Being an 88 you will have to do this in order to fix it...
http://www.tbichips.com/drac/

Half Assed

WINNERS NEVER LIFT
Reaction score
Yes , tire size it makes a difference.

Has the truck be regeared? It should have been doing about 100mph if it read 80. I'm guessing you have 38" tires.

Nyborg

Reaction score
Yeah I watched a few video's and tutorials how to regear my truck. Thank you!

TXDIRT67

Reaction score
Speedometer Calibration

It's easy to recalibrate, I just did it on my 91, it should be the same for the 88.
Take out the cluster, remove the back and change the green fusible links to match your tire size according to the chart below. You can check them for continuity with your meter.
You must be registered for see images attach

Some people put in dip switches, I just unsoldered the ones I needed to and jumped the ones that needed it. See the chart below.

Let me know if you need any more help with this.

95C1500

┌П┐(◣_◢)┌П┐
Reaction score
It's easy to recalibrate, I just did it on my 91, it should be the same for the 88.
Take out the cluster, remove the back and change the green fusible links to match your tire size according to the chart below. You can check them for continuity with your meter.

Some people put in dip switches, I just unsoldered the ones I needed to and jumped the ones that needed it. See the chart below.

Let me know if you need any more help with this.

using dip switches is what I would do. If you ever regear or change tire size again, it is as simple as doing the math and flipping the switches. No need to re do it every time...