RPO code and others

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JudgeRusty

Reaction score
I reviewed the sticker in my 1988 K1500 glove box and compared to an online list to decipher the codes.

First, for some of the codes, multiple interpretations were provided. Is this because the list I was using was not model year specific?

Also there seemed to be duplicate codes. For example, I have both C4F and C5G for different GVWRs.

Lastly, for now, there are other codes around the sticker like PLT-T, WA-L8865, U8866, 608DPV, FIN48P71, 016 and 8943 (I think WA-L8865 and U8866 are paint codes for the two-tone doo-doo brown scheme, but I also have RPO codes for ZY4, Z53, 32U and 58L).

Can someone interpret these other codes?

95burban

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Compnine.com is a good way to learn about your truck.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
A RPO code can describe the basic option. Example " OCR " = engine oil cooler. The problem is there a bunch of different oil cooler configurations.
The most accurate way is to refer to the RPO codes in your year
You must be registered for see images attach
OE service manual. The first section describes and breaks down everything about your year truck. Weight, cargo, trans, eng, options, measurements width height, track so on. This is an example . If you don't have the OE manuals , in sticky above is a link to get the free PDF. You need it, it's your new best friend.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You want the correct , applies to your year, it's right there in the service manual. The vin breakdown , why bother with on line . Your wanna know what your truck is about. Go to the source document.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Agree with @GoToGuy, download the 1988 manual. Manuals can be found here:

I happen to have a copy of the 1988 manual, here's the RPO list and VIN breakdown. Each is a one-pager.

Attachments

• Pages from 1988_GM_CK_LIGHT_DUTY_TRUCKS_SERVICE_MANUAL.pdf
    105.9 KB · Views: 11
  • VIN from 1988_GM_CK_LIGHT_DUTY_TRUCKS_SERVICE_MANUAL.pdf
    123.5 KB · Views: 8

hatzie

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Thanks a bunch.
I was aware of rpo codes and was aware of the available manuals; I did not know the two were combined.

Downloading today.
The RPO codes are in the front pages of the light truck parts books.
Unfortunately GM stopped printing parts books after the 1993 model year. I have fiches for the 1994-2000 light trucks but I haven't digitized them.